Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless palm router 8mm collet??? Help!

Cordless palm router 8mm collet??? Help!

Hi all, need a 8mm collet (in addition to the standard 1/4") for either the Milwaukee Cordless m18 router, or the DeWalt 20v cordless.
    After doing a couple hours of searching, Milwaukee's European version DOES come standard with 6mm AND 8mm collets. I have bought the 'Merican version of the m18, but about to send back due to having a bunch of Leigh bits, and other 8mm bits, that I need to use. I need the smaller size router as well.

Again, Milwaukee DOES have an 8mm collet for the Euro version of this m18 router, but can't seem determine if that would work in the American version, LET ALONE, trying to get one even if it does!!!

Anyone run into this, have a solution, or ideas?!!!!
    Thanks ahead of time!
    Don
    I am both an Architect & Woodworker .......
    As Architect, I don't make mistakes .... I plant vines;
    As Woodworker, I don't make mistakes .... I "meant" it to be that way;
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

Blog Entries
    I'm willing to think that you could have Whiteside or a local outfit make you the profile you want in 1/4" cheaper and easier than you could outfit a U.S.A. cordless router with an 8mm chuck.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I get home tonight I will test if this collet fits the Milwaukee. I have a Shaper Origin, collet and I also have the router in my shop.

https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/st...ollet-with-nut

I got one from Elaire Corp to fit my Dewalt palm router. Mine is a corded router but it and the cordless unit use the same collet.

https://elairecorp.com/dewaltrouterc...YaAoa5EALw_wcB

Clint

Not sure if this will work for that router or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Trend-De6952-...s%2C181&sr=8-7

The Whiteside adapter works fine in 1/2" collets, but I guess those don't fit these routers?

Have you contacted Milwaukee to see if they might provide the collets you need since they have them for the Euro version?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I belive the porter cable 1/2 router uses a standard ER collet. Maybe ER25 or ER35? Any chance your brand is a standard collet body?
    Bill D.

Please measure and post results.
    https://cuttingedgecarbide.co.uk/ima...ring_Guide.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-12-2024 at 7:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I belive the porter cable 1/2 router uses a standard ER collet. Maybe ER25 or ER35? Any chance your brand is a standard collet body?
    Bill D.
    Nope, the big (dearly departed) PC routers like the PC 7518/7519 do not use an ER collet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Followup and Thanks for responses on 8mm collet for cordless Milwaukee m18 router

Quote Originally Posted by Don Brubaker View Post
    Hi all, need a 8mm collet (in addition to the standard 1/4") for either the Milwaukee Cordless m18 router, or the DeWalt 20v cordless.
    After doing a couple hours of searching, Milwaukee's European version DOES come standard with 6mm AND 8mm collets. I have bought the 'Merican version of the m18, but about to send back due to having a bunch of Leigh bits, and other 8mm bits, that I need to use. I need the smaller size router as well.

Again, Milwaukee DOES have an 8mm collet for the Euro version of this m18 router, but can't seem determine if that would work in the American version, LET ALONE, trying to get one even if it does!!!

Anyone run into this, have a solution, or ideas?!!!!
    Thanks ahead of time!
    Don

Thanks for all your responses.
    Several of them had some info that I followed up on and here are the results.

It appears that Milwaukee DOES make an 8mm collet .... for their European version. I did contact Milwaukee, but from what I've seen they aren't great about follow up. We'll see.

The Eltair Corp DOES make one for the cordless DeWalt, but NOT for the Milwaukee ... not sure why, but I did contact them - nothing. They also have one for the Bosch corded Colt, which I do have, but wanted cordless for my purposes. These are all also pretty pricy at $20-$25 for one collet??? Yes, inflation, etc, but, REALLY?

So, either I'm going to get the DeWalt, an 8mm collet from Eltair, and use my m18 batteries with a battery adapter, or just get an 8mm collet for the Colt and "struggle" with the cord! Maybe Milwaukee will get back and say their European 8mm collet will work with the American m18 router! Not holding my breath!
    Thanks again all.
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

Collets are supposed to be precision devices so they are not inexpensive in that regard. And in the US market (sadly), and 8mm collet is more of a specialty item with lower volume and for routers (as opposed to spindles used with CNC machines that typically use ER standards which means mixing and matching is no issue within the spec) there needs to be multiple products because every router manufacturer "doing their own thing" with collet design and threading. Folks using routers larger than palm units that have .5" collets often use a bushing to deal with the 8mm shank Leight bits. (which are excellent, IMHO)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

11. The shaper Origin 8mm collet does not fit the m18 trim unfortunately. I can't find concrete info on the spindle threading of the m18 - but it is pretty fine thread. The Milwaukee 8mm euro collet is a thing. The question is whether Milwaukee would change the threading on the spindle ?

Source for Milwaukee 8mm collet: https://www.sparepartsworld.co.uk/product/4931479477

I bet the collet works in the US market router as well. It would not make sense to have a different rotor and shaft for the European market.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 02-14-2024 at 2:03 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Milwaukee 8mm collet for cordless m18 followup

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Source for Milwaukee 8mm collet: https://www.sparepartsworld.co.uk/product/4931479477

I bet the collet works in the US market router as well. It would not make sense to have a different rotor and shaft for the European market.
    Dan, that's what I'm betting. I contacted Milwaukee via their website, but nothing for about a week. May try to call them. In the meantime I did find some "collets only" ... that may fit the m18 router on Amazon. Got my caliper out on the m18 and compared dimensions to Amazon's and looks like they might work. Best thing though would be one made by Milwaukee. Guess I'll have to take a trip to Europe to get one!!!

These are all also pretty pricy at $20-$25 for one collet??? Yes, inflation, etc, but, REALLY?
    Elaire is a 'Murican co. making precisely machined tooling. 20 bucks for a collet from them seems an absolute bargain considering. Just how much is that Milwaukee collet that's made somewhere else ?
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 02-20-2024 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Brubaker View Post
    Thanks for all your responses.
    Several of them had some info that I followed up on and here are the results.

It appears that Milwaukee DOES make an 8mm collet .... for their European version. I did contact Milwaukee, but from what I've seen they aren't great about follow up. We'll see.

The Eltair Corp DOES make one for the cordless DeWalt, but NOT for the Milwaukee ... not sure why, but I did contact them - nothing. They also have one for the Bosch corded Colt, which I do have, but wanted cordless for my purposes. These are all also pretty pricy at $20-$25 for one collet??? Yes, inflation, etc, but, REALLY?

So, either I'm going to get the DeWalt, an 8mm collet from Eltair, and use my m18 batteries with a battery adapter, or just get an 8mm collet for the Colt and "struggle" with the cord! Maybe Milwaukee will get back and say their European 8mm collet will work with the American m18 router! Not holding my breath!
    Thanks again all.
    Your paying for a product someone makes on an expensive machine that produces extreme accuracy. If he sold them for 1$ then the machine would not have been worth his purchase. The precision in many of the alternatives is at best "close enough". I had them for a previous palm router and the quality is visually noticable over the dewalt collet. It may not matter for a roundover but for those that through the palm router in a cnc machine it can improve accuracy.