Thread: Delta 14'' bandsaw

Delta 14'' bandsaw

I do not play well with my band saw coupled with extremely poor mechanical ability. I have fumbled around and changed the blade. Adjusting the lower blade guides has me stumped. I can only move the a little but the sit about half way back from the gullets. I have the owners manual which is no help.bandsaw.jpg

Will this work. I do not recall that last time I changed the blade nor how this assembly looked.
    Thank you.

I have the same saw, looks like the guides are all the way forward, where is the blade on the upper wheel. Looks like a 3/8" or 1/2" blade? Middle of blade should be on the middle of the upper wheel. The front of the guides should be just behind the gullet of the blade.

It's a 1/2 inch blade, The center of the blade is on the crown. The knob that is supposed to move the guides only turns and doesn't move anything.

There's a ring on the threaded shaft with a set screw, maybe the set screw is loose?

You don't list your model number, so that is quite a hinderance for us to help. Here is one model and the manual is very clear in how to move the guide assembly.
    Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 5.19.24 PM.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I do not play well with my band saw coupled with extremely poor mechanical ability. I have fumbled around and changed the blade. Adjusting the lower blade guides has me stumped. I can only move the a little but the sit about half way back from the gullets. I have the owners manual which is no help.bandsaw.jpg

Will this work. I do not recall that last time I changed the blade nor how this assembly looked.
    Thank you.
    Your guides are out of adjustment. The locking ring, circled in this photo needs to be moved back up the threaded shaft. toward the adjusting knob.
    Guide 1.jpg
    Here is a photo of where the locking ring should be located So it is right against the gray casting.
    20230120_151521.jpg
    Here is how to adjust it. Push the adjusting knob so the wavy washers are against the casting. Then loosen the two set screws and screw the move the collar toward the other side of the casting from the knob. Once there tighten the set screws. Once that adjustment is made you should be able to get the guides all the way to the blade.

Make sure the adjustment for the thrust bearing is done up the same way.

However, on my saw the adjustment would bind up even with the locking ring in the proper location. What I had to do was to slightly loosen the counter sunk screw in the gray die cast piece that attaches to the end of the smooth rod. This allow the casting to align better with everything so it can travel the full distance. If this works for you, you will need to remove the screw completely and then reinstall it with some Blue thread locker on the threads, leaving it slightly loose. If you don't use thread locker it will continue to loosen and may eventually fall out.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-11-2024 at 8:19 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'll give it a go this coming week. My wife just had back surg. So I have that as a propriety.
    Thanks.

Thanks Lee. I've had the same problem with mine and couldn't figure out what was causing it. I'll see if your recommendations set it right.

John

I'm getting Handle on it. The die cast piece is sticky. I'll go to Ace later today and get some Blue thread locker and start on the lower adjustment at a later date.
    I seems odd that I worked, as an RN, in ICU/CCU for years with all manner of complicated devices that had to be fixed so as to run until another one was procured. I had little problem but some of the simplest things bewilder me.
    Another thing is my wife feels she was put on this Earth to fix things. The first I knew of this is when she rebuilt a 4 barrel carb. Hence I just get out of the way and let her have at it.
    Early in our marriage and money was tight I got her 100 lbs. of steel wool and she knitted us a stove.
    Thank you.

bandsawpart copy.jpg
    I had to take the lower blade guide off as it was frozen up. I needed to tap the trunnion plate out to remove it (bottom of pic). This item goes into the above part. Two spring wedges fit into this. The plate slides into the part. It has to go in one end first as the other end is just a slight bit wider so as to stop at the end.
    My problem is I cannot even start the plate with the wedges in. The plate fits and moves freely without the wedges.
    I'm loathe to try and tap it into place as this would probably open up another can of worms.
    The little springs are easily lost and finding new ones was a challenge.
    hank you.

The plate is straight and parallel, goes in either way. You have to pinch the wedges together to get the plate to slide in, lubricate everything generously before you start. A spring from a click style pen can be cut to length and works perfectly as a replacement.

I've restored over 20 of these saws now, I think I could put one together with my eyes closed.

Thank you for the help. I shall give it a go tomorrow.

John;
    My wife and I got it done. Your instruction to pinch the wedges together was the key to the whole deal.
    Thank you,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    John;
    My wife and I got it done. Your instruction to pinch the wedges together was the key to the whole deal.
    Thank you,
    Jerry
    You're welcome Jerry, thanks for the update.