Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source Needed

Source Needed

Hardwood dowel stock is often useful but quality is a problem. Recommended sources? I'm thinking a couple sticks 3 ft long in a few sizes, just to keep on hand.

I've been known to carry some digital calipers in the box stores on occasion.

What many folks are doing is getting a dowel plate and making their own from whatever species they need "in the moment". Quality is better and they are actually round. Sticks you buy "out there" often get oval as they dry out further. I plan on picking up a set of dowel plates for my own use; these or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q4RY3T7...lig_dp_it&th=1
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

we had plates in school they are instant and work fine. Some pre made ones are better with edge treatments the metal plate way cant do.

No need to buy a dowel plate, just use a piece of scrap steel plate (I used part of a treadmill frame that I salvaged the motor from) and drill a hole in it the size you want the dowel. For best results drill one hole the size you want and a second hole slightly bigger. Run it thru the bigger hole first so the final pass thru the smaller hole takes only a small amount off resulting in less tearout and a smoother finish.

Tom - I do the same thing. Klingspor’s has several species each with a number of diameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    No need to buy a dowel plate, just use a piece of scrap steel plate (I used part of a treadmill frame that I salvaged the motor from) and drill a hole in it the size you want the dowel. For best results drill one hole the size you want and a second hole slightly bigger. Run it thru the bigger hole first so the final pass thru the smaller hole takes only a small amount off resulting in less tearout and a smoother finish.
    That's true...one can absolutely do that. It's a great solution for needing to do something "now" as well as for people who really only need one size. Some folks do like having a bunch of options available which is makes the dowel plate an attractive alternative to "rolling their own".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Tom - I do the same thing. Klingspor’s has several species each with a number of diameters.
    Sorry - This ^^ post was on phone; limited by thumbs.

I had, and sold here, an L-N dowel plate - and my 3 pair of drawbore pins. I used the plate to make rived [riven?] pegs for drawbored joints. I dropped that joinery technique, and hence the related gear. Not because I didn't like it - Loved it. Just no longer interested in the time investment "BT-DT" mentality.

I did not/do not bother to make my own dowels, when they are so cheap to buy. Very fast to get where I need to go, and I don't really mind the "store-bought" cloud that follows me around.

However, godspeed and hat's off to all who make their own.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

What do you use the dowels for? You can make them.

I was making a big molding, a 3" thick bullnose, using 1 1/2" radius quarter round cutter on a shaper. I realized that I could make 3" diameter dowels with it. Probably be better off getting my neighbor to turn it.

I do make my own pegs for pegging tenons. Tapered pegs, round on the exterior, square on the interior, don't work their way out the way dowels do.

I use Cincinnati Dowel for larger quantities. For smaller quantities Midwest Dowel. Same company. Good quality.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Both of my Rockler's carry them.

I have this dowel plate. It’s surprising how often it gets used. Very good tool for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What many folks are doing is getting a dowel plate and making their own from whatever species they need "in the moment". Quality is better and they are actually round. Sticks you buy "out there" often get oval as they dry out further. I plan on picking up a set of dowel plates for my own use; these or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q4RY3T7...lig_dp_it&th=1
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Realize there are more then fraction drills being sold all the time. It sometimes pays to drill slightly under size using a letter or number drill. Or, I supose, metric.
    Bill D

Tom I bought a ton of dowels for plate racks years ago and have way more than I will ever use. PM me an address and I will send you a bundle.

Add me to the dowel plate users list. While I have a selection of store bought dowel, I often like to make pegs for joinery out of the same species of wood I'm working with. Sometimes I use a different species that complements the primary wood. Since this just requires short pieces, a dowel plate works very well.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.