Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on setting up new shop

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McKim View Post
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far. I really haven't put much thought into dust collection but clearly I should put some more thought into it. I think what I will do is have the electrician come in and add a circuit for dust collection, (2) 230V outlets, and then, leave the rest 110. From there I really have to just decide if I want to go used vs new.
    Having 2 a good idea, but you can always share 1 outlet between two machines if you are a one-person shop. Also you can re-wire machines with longer cords to reach, or use the proper extension cord per manufactures requirements. For example, I share 1 outlet between my table saw and my bandsaw, however the tablesaw is not near the outlet. Sawstop provides extension cord requirements and says at 0-50 feet use 14 gauge, however I went to a 12 gauge anyway.

So pending the cost and locations of the machine, you can get away with 1 230v for your machines and 1 on a separate circuit for dust collection.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Are the 120V outlets you currently have on a 15A or 20A circuit. I've got 2 120V circuits and 1 240V circuit in my shop, everything at 20A. It's been good enough for running a harbor freight dust collector with the big tools on 240V, or the dust collector with small tools on separate circuits. There are some pretty good dust collectors available that can run on 120V, but you'll want to make sure it's a 20A circuit. Even though some of them come with a standard 5-15 plug, they might not play well with a 15A circuit. If you're having an electrician add a 240V circuit I would make sure your 120V is 20A too.

Lots of good advice here. I've moved a bunch, so I have built/furnished 6 shops over the years, so I have thought about this a few times. I can add my 2 cents: If I were starting out from scratch, first, look to the used market. There a lot of good old stuff out there. This is the order I'd go: Band saw, table saw, planer, then dust collector (because the planer will generate a ton of problems without DC), then Jointer, Lathe, miter saw, etc. Regarding the jointer, is the 8" absolutely necessary? I can do everything I need with a 6" jointer and I've been doing this for 30+ years. Also, get good hand tools- but not necessarily expensive ones. Look to estate sales or the used market. Nobody learns hand tools anymore, so you can find them cheap. But, if you learn how to use hand tools properly, you'll always be able to complete a job. A machine just makes it faster and easier, but not better.

Check your power. The wiring in your basement may not be able to support 110v equipment. If it isn't at least a 12ga wire, you might have a problem. However, as long as you only have one tool operating at a time, you should be ok. Make sure your lights and your tools are on a different circuit, so if your breaker trips while using a saw, you won't be in the dark with a spinning blade. I'd actually encourage you to have two different circuits for lights so if one goes out, the other will be still on.
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 02-12-2024 at 2:15 PM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Blog Entries
    Starts with the electrical panel. Personal shop I usually doesn’t need more than 100amp service..

if your doing cabinetry, there is a break down of tools. If your doing furniture , there is a breakpoint down of tools., If your doing both. You’ll need to combine.

A lot of shops are thrown together because it looks kool, but don’t function well.
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-12-2024 at 2:56 PM.

One thing on 120V outlets. Like others have said, 120V outlets in residential can commonly be 15A circuits running 12 gauge romex. In addition, house wiring outlets are usually shared on one circuit. Your "basement" electrical could potentially all be on one 15A circuit. This means that you can not really use more than one tool at a time (including the dust collector). Be aware that a 120V planer will typically use up an entire 20A circuit (15A is just not enough). In addition, any 120V machine that is 2HP will require a larger 20A circuit. It is just too much for a 15A circuit and the breaker will pop all the time.

If you really wanted to have a future evolution basement woodshop, I would start with electrical. Rather than running a single 240V circuit, why not have a large branch breaker on your main service panel and put in a subpanel in your basement. That would allow you to install multiple 120V and 240V outlets at any future time without having to re-run electrical wire from your main panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    One thing on 120V outlets. Like others have said, 120V outlets in residential can commonly be 15A circuits running 12 gauge romex. In addition, house wiring outlets are usually shared on one circuit. Your "basement" electrical could potentially all be on one 15A circuit. This means that you can not really use more than one tool at a time (including the dust collector). Be aware that a 120V planer will typically use up an entire 20A circuit (15A is just not enough). In addition, any 120V machine that is 2HP will require a larger 20A circuit. It is just too much for a 15A circuit and the breaker will pop all the time.

If you really wanted to have a future evolution basement woodshop, I would start with electrical. Rather than running a single 240V circuit, why not have a large branch breaker on your main service panel and put in a subpanel in your basement. That would allow you to install multiple 120V and 240V outlets at any future time without having to re-run electrical wire from your main panel.
    Most 15A circuits are run with 14 guage and 20A circuits run with 12 gauge in every home i've seen, and it's been a lot over the years. It's very rare for the electrician to run 12 gauge on a 15A circuit due to the added cost. At least here in New Jersey.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    I found the three most important things were. Power, air compressor and dust collection. Everything else fills in..

"If you really wanted to have a future evolution basement woodshop, I would start with electrical. Rather than running a single 240V circuit, why not have a large branch breaker on your main service panel and put in a subpanel in your basement. That would allow you to install multiple 120V and 240V outlets at any future time without having to re-run electrical wire from your main panel."

Wish I would have done my shop this way. The garage is done this way, 50amp 8 circuit subpanel. The A/C was changed over to 90 amp subpanel when hot tub was added. Basement was wired early on, drywall ceiling added after, The main panel was in sight with 30' longest run, so run all individual circuits, now panel is full, had to go to twin breakers to get space for all the circuits. Some 120vac circuits are now 240vac and still not enough of them. Unplugging tools too often to plug other tool in.
    Same amount of load just wanted separate circuits for tools. Should have installed a 100 amp subpanel in shop and fed everything but lights. Then one breaker to turn off and all the shop is dead.
    Old enough now probably will not change it over to a sub panel in the shop.
    Ron

eat the cost now, cry about price and be ready for rest of your life

I'm in agreement with a few of the others here. Spend your money on a subpanel, outlets, LIGHTS (these are often an afterthought), dust collection with ducting. Grab some hand tools to start and accumulate machines 1 at a time - don't skimp or settle here, take your time. Too many of us have upgraded equipment many times over thinking, this is all I need.

One thing I would add about tools, is you can acquire them as needed - you don't need to fully outfit a shop if you don't have need for some tools. Figure out your first projects, and figure out the tools from there.

For my first several projects, I was able to live without a planer or jointer - I was doing shallow display cases, so was buying s4s lumber at home depot (ok, not best choice there), so only needed a table saw to cut to width and chop saw to cut to length. I eventually moved to some other projects that required the jointer and planer. I had a fairly basic/small tablesaw for quite a while (free from a neighbor), and that worked fine - I eventually updated to a sawstop, partly for the safety, but partly because I wanted to build cabinets for my garage and wanted something with a larger table to make that easier. But I probably lived with that more basic tablesaw for 10 years.

You may eventually have a fully equipped shop, but just doing the woodworking will give you a better idea of what tools you may need, what features you want, etc. Thinking back, if someone gave me a bunch of money as a gift to outfit my shop 15 years ago, I probably would have made some poor choices there. In fact, even buying as needed, there are a few tools where I bought a fairly basic version, only to buy a better version later on and sell the basic one.

Something else I didn't mention above, getting a bunch of machines all at once is way, way more expensive than initial sticker price. Accessories, blades, ducting, etc, etc adds up quickly. Last tool I added was a lathe. Sticker was 3k... I've easily spent nine or ten thousand total so far (on turning) and there's still a ton or there that I want to get my hands on, chucks, chisels, etc.

I feel like the 110v saw is fine, but I'd budget for appropriate blades for rip, cross cut etc. I feel like you can get by with a combination blade on a higher powered saw, but on a 110v, I'd get a good dedicated rip blade. I started with a 1 3/4 hp, 110v Delta hybrid saw, and with the right blades, it was much more capable than with the combination.

Blog Entries
    Straight for the tools, before the shop. Cart before the horse.. I tried a 50 amp in my shop. What a waste..

james is accurate on the blade info. I wont use less than 3hp 220 and there is well more resistance on a combo blade than rip. Id get a 8" jointer as well. You can work without dust collection but you cant work without machines. I bought five machines when I started and saved enough that the six one came free. All were general and just went ot several dealers for pricing of that quantity. One dealer cheaper, smarter and delivered them for free. Different time.

Blog Entries
    You can work without dust collection, but why? I don’t have a jointer. Your correct on the saw for sizing, but unless your making money with your tools why work backwards..

When I was setting up my shop , I wasn’t in a hurry, till I went in business for myself and had to slap my shop together to pay bills. I regret the mess, but had to work first. There is no way I’m pulling all this out to remodel now..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-13-2024 at 12:28 PM.