Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roofing valley

Blog Entries

Roofing valley

I’ll ask and see if anybody knows. I want to use W-metal on my roof and there are two different pitches on my roof.so instead of the W-metal going all the way up , it angles in a different direction.

Not sure if we have any roofers on board. Can’t find and pictures or videos. I’m lost on this one..
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgDEAc&adurl=

One just lays on top of the other. Part of the standing middle has to be folded down, and the upper and probably one side edge of the lower piece folded back on itself to keep water from going sideways. Also ice shield under the whole valley.

What pitch and shingles?

I’m a roofer. It nearly impossible to discuss a Valley metal detail without seeing it.
    A general rule is at a minimum you want 3 inch over lap. Make relief cuts in the lower piece to get the crown of the metal folded flat. No fasteners in the water way. no screws. No nails or staples nothing. Take your time to get over lapping pieces laying flat. You probably will have to do it two or three times. Just cut it off and do it again.
    With shingles 18 inch wide valley metal is all you should need. The wider stuff is for tile roofs.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I got up there and took pictures..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    My first thought was to beat it down and overlay it, but I couldn’t find a youtube or any pictures of it, so it concerned me..

Blog Entries
    Best Regards, Maurice

No benefit with comp shingles except for steep pitch, IMO, but if you do, make sure to clip the shingle corners.

Blog Entries
    The metal will outlast my shingles

I can tell you right now, that almost every roof was in my neighborhood was done as cheap as it was bid. I’m hoping to upgrade some of the work underneath the shingles..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-09-2024 at 12:39 PM.

If the shingles are going to be three tab like what is up there now, I'd just lace the shingles.

What you're talking about doing with the valley and slope change is very similar to one I did with a standing seam roof. That roof had two intersecting gambles, a slope change shed roof between intersecting gambrels, and a bunch of dormers. It had a slope change in a 32' long valley at the bottom of one of the gambrel planes.

If one side of the roof at the slope change in the valley drops more water on one side than the other, I would not want to use a metal valley there. I'd like the way it's done now better.

No it won't. The house directly across the street from me has a standing seam valley- I think 8/12 pitch.

The roof is maybe 25 years old, the shingles worn and the valley metal is rusty.

When it is re-roofed, the metal will certainly be removed, and probably not replaced.

You can't add another layer of shingles over (not that I would generally do that).

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I got up there and took pictures..
    Thats called a dog leg. Your thoughts about overlaying of over lapping is correct. It’s looks high up on the roof so it shouldn’t be much of a problem. Leave about 1 1/2 inches open on both sides of the crown for water to flow. If it were down lower it might need a bigger gap or something different. That high up it will be fine.
    cut the tops of your shingles that sit in the valley so they buck the water back towards the crown. If you leave them pointy they sometimes direct water under the shingles and off the metal.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Roofing is choice. Color, metal , one metal showing. It’s all choice. My roof is getting metal. I’m not oing back with tab roof. The house across the street and mine are three tab. My neighbor last year had someone come out to give a bid. While the roofer was there ai asked him bout Ice shield.I don’t think my neighbor liked the price of a new roof, cause he didn’t get it done.

My boy will help with the tear off. I’ve done three tab roofs before and me and the boy can learn to roof this one together.

Are you saying the whole roof will be metal? I have a lot of experience with metal roofing. I have a how-to on standing seam roofing on another forums that I can link. I have it on part of our house and even our chicken coop. I used to fix exposed fastener roofs but quit doing it, and still get calls all the time from people wanting me to find and fix a leak on fairly new such roofs. I have exposed fastener roofs on some of the buildings here, but will never again put one on anything.

Blog Entries
    Roofing valleys will be metal..

When I did the slope change valley on that complicated standing seam roof, I had the metal folded to my design, but I didn't use the raised V in it. It was a lot easier to make a good transition without that in there.