Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Jointer 6-inch won't run

Jet Jointer 6-inch won't run

I have had this model JJ-6CSX for a long time and get good results. Recently, I replaced the knives, and today I spent time getting heights adjusted. I then ran the face of a "stud" 2x4 over it, and the result is fab - smooth as a baby's bottom. Later, I came back to joint the edge of the same board. Jointer won't run - tripping circuit breakers. I saw other posts about changing a starting capacitor, but rotating my cutterhead manually (motor unplugged) I can feel it binding. What have I done ?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Stolowitz View Post
    I have had this model JJ-6CSX for a long time and get good results. Recently, I replaced the knives, and today I spent time getting heights adjusted. I then ran the face of a "stud" 2x4 over it, and the result is fab - smooth as a baby's bottom. Later, I came back to joint the edge of the same board. Jointer won't run - tripping circuit breakers. I saw other posts about changing a starting capacitor, but rotating my cutterhead manually (motor unplugged) I can feel it binding. What have I done ?!?!?!?
    Have you checked the belt and the cutter head path? Brian
    Brian

I have the same jointer that I bought at an estate auction a few years ago and have never had to work on yet, but I would take the belt off and see if the cutterhead or the motor is where the problem is. It could just be a piece of debris that has fallen into the throat and is jamming the cutterhead. Does it turn over all the way, but stiffly, or is it only turning partway by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Have you checked the belt and the cutter head path? Brian
    Thanks Brian. The belt seems fine. I think the next step may be to remove the cutterhead and see what's up. There are instructions for that in the manual. It feels like something is impeding it from rotating.

Thanks Brian. The belt seems fine. I think the next step may be to remove the cutterhead and see what's up. There are instructions for that in the manual. It feels like something is impeding it from rotating.
    I’d test the motor / cap(s) first , BEFORE I started removing the cutterhead.

1. Remove the belt
    2. Spin the cutterhead pulley and see if head spins freely.
    3. Start the motor and see if all seems fine.

The source of your issue should be readily apparent.

Steve advises good steps to follow to include/exclude problems. Brian
    Brian

UNPLUG THE JOINTER, check to make sure the cord is unplugged, drape the cord over the fence to where you can SEE the end.
    reach up the dust chute to the cutter head and feel for a chunk of wood, CAN'T then raise the out feed table, use a flashlight and look in there, probe around with a screwdriver, etc. Should be able to figure this out without removing the cutter head.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I’d test the motor / cap(s) first , BEFORE I started removing the cutterhead.

1. Remove the belt
    2. Spin the cutterhead pulley and see if head spins freely.
    3. Start the motor and see if all seems fine.

The source of your issue should be readily apparent.
    Hi Dave,
    I am learning a lot about my jointer. I got in there and I don't see a cap - seems to be inside the motor case. But I learned how to move the motor to loosen the belt. Manipulating the belt, I felt certain the resistance the resistance is in the cutterhead. I proceeded to remove the fence and other parts to access the cutterhead. Before removing the cutterhead I did two things. First, I ran the motor with no belt (just briefly); it runs fine. Then before removing the cutterhead, the just rotated it multiple times, grasping the pulley. There is resistance there - it will rotate around 150 or 200 degrees and then sticks. I can push past the sticky part, but obviously something is amiss. So then I removed the cutterhead, which is mounted as you know by a pair of bearing housings. Each bearing housing is bolted to the base of the machine. Once removed - voila - the cutterhead spins just fine on the bench. No resistance. In other words, the bearings seem fine to me. I cannot see any issue on the jointer - there is just an empty space where the cutterhead belongs. So I proceed to reassembly.

After installing the cutterhead (let's abbreviate CH), the resistance is back. I tried loosening one CH bearing housing mounting bolt, and then the other. But it seems when either one is tightened (not VERY tight - just firm), the resistance is back. What the hell? There is no "adjustment" here - these are just bolts going into threaded holes - one in each bearing housing on either end of the CH. The receiving "saddles" are clean. I don't know what to do next. Thanks for listening. Let me know if a picture of anything would help - it's all accessible now.

Clarification - it seems ok to tighten the back side bearing housing mounting bolt. Snugging the front side bolt impedes rotation of the CH.

Blog Entries
    If you're in this deep then I'd replace the bearings. Do the bearings feel rough?

Is it magically rough again without pulleys and motors involved?

Again you're in this deep, I'd get a new belt.

And I would spin the motor by hand too. The bearings in the motor might be shot.

The problem is digital... it didn't exist and now it does. Seems like something broke not just "worn out".
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Maybe a blade slipped? Idk. Hard to know without being there
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

You may be right. I feel like an idiot but the problem is solved! A blade (maybe two) was off center just enough to sometimes contact the bearing housing. See photo. That fixed, it runs great. I am glad I got the experience of R/R the cutterhead - it's not that hard. Photo attached shows where the blade contacts the bearing housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That'll do it. It's always something stupid (we hope).
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

You may be right. I feel like an idiot but the problem is solved! A blade (maybe two) was off center just enough to sometimes contact the bearing housing. See photo. That fixed, it runs great. I am glad I got the experience of R/R the cutterhead - it's not that hard. Photo attached shows where the blade contacts the bearing housing.
    The only person who doesn't make mistakes periodically isn't doing anything.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. It was a learning experience. Look how much better you understand your jointer now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glad you solved the problem. Brian
    Brian