Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Universal Remote-?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My optical output on a Samsung doesn't have volume control by the TV. The connected unit controls the sound. Though our set up doesn't kill the TV's sound output. For that we use the TV volume control via the Direct TV remote.
    The optical output is just raw digital signal, and your receivers DAC decoders it. There's no volume data contained,unlike RCA cables that varied the output voltage.

I think people are ditching video components, just like most folks have ditched audio. With ARC and CDC controls though, that's fine. It lessens a jumble of cables. I have one HDMI candle going to my TV, from my receiver. Every thing else goes through that, and I have it setup to bypass, so we can watch TV without the receiver on as my wife prefers that.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

So this morning I tried switching around a few HDMI cables, the TV told me to connect a cable FROM the TV's HDMI-ARC port TO the Yamaha's HDMI output port...Output? Ok, I got sound, but volume still NOT controllable by the Dish or TV remote. So I moved the HDMI cable on the Yamaha from the HDMI-out to an HDMI input. Then I got zilch. I'm guessing it's because my Yamaha is many years old and simply doesn't work with ARC. Or I'm doing it wrong ...

So, the TV has all of 2 "obvious" volume outputs, to the TV speakers, or optical-cable output. Optical cable works great, and mutes the TV's speakers, but volume is ONLY controlled by the Yamaha. Doesn't work for me...

Guess I'm buying a new remote

--edit-- or maybe not, at least not a Harmony... discontinued Harmony remotes on Amazon, up to $449... yow, that's more than half what the TV cost me...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 02-11-2024 at 4:14 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    So this morning I tried switching around a few HDMI cables, the TV told me to connect a cable FROM the TV's HDMI-ARC port TO the Yamaha's HDMI output port...Output? Ok, I got sound, but volume still NOT controllable by the Dish or TV remote. So I moved the HDMI cable on the Yamaha from the HDMI-out to an HDMI input. Then I got zilch. I'm guessing it's because my Yamaha is many years old and simply doesn't work with ARC. Or I'm doing it wrong ...

So, the TV has all of 2 "obvious" volume outputs, to the TV speakers, or optical-cable output. Optical cable works great, and mutes the TV's speakers, but volume is ONLY controlled by the Yamaha. Doesn't work for me...

Guess I'm buying a new remote

--edit-- or maybe not, at least not a Harmony... discontinued Harmony remotes on Amazon, up to $449... yow, that's more than half what the TV cost me...
    Similar to the problem I had. My sound bar didn't have HDMI input, only optical. I bought a Harmony 665 and it controls my cable box, TV, and sound bar. You could pick up a used on on the Bay use if you trust it for under $50.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You could pick up a used on on the Bay use if you trust it for under $50.
    -- Just did, under $31 WITH a year's service protection, so here's hoping!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I didn't realize that Logitech discontinued the Harmony remote in 2021. That is why they are expensive for those who still have new ones.

So, just figured out why I got such a bargain- it WORKS, which is what the eBay ad said it would do-- but the ONLY thing it'll control is the original owner's LG-TV, Polk Audio Amp, Sony DVD and Google Media. The remote's USB Will Not Connect to any of my computers using Any of my USB cords. And--To make ANY changes to the remote, requires it be connected to Logitech.com. It won't, so I can't change a thing. Looks like a nice remote, but I'll never know...

Next-- I guess I get to see if eBay's/Allstate's Electronics Protection Plan is worth the $4 I paid for it...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    So, just figured out why I got such a bargain- it WORKS, which is what the eBay ad said it would do-- but the ONLY thing it'll control is the original owner's LG-TV, Polk Audio Amp, Sony DVD and Google Media. The remote's USB Will Not Connect to any of my computers using Any of my USB cords. And--To make ANY changes to the remote, requires it be connected to Logitech.com. It won't, so I can't change a thing. Looks like a nice remote, but I'll never know...

Next-- I guess I get to see if eBay's/Allstate's Electronics Protection Plan is worth the $4 I paid for it...
    You did see this... some other USB cables other than the one supplied may not work? https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...y-the-computer
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I used to use Logitech remotes, they were great. Then everything started supporting signals across hdmi and it became unnecessary. So if you can't do CEC control the harmony is the way to go.
    One thing to be aware of re CEC. I recently bought a Roku sound bar which supports CEC. It is connected to a Philips TV which has 3 HDMI ports. Only ONE of the HDMI ports on the TV supports CEC. When I first hooked it up both sets of speakers - the ones on the Roku and the TV speakers were live. I had to disable the TV speakers.