Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Universal Remote-?

Good Universal Remote-?

For many years we've been watching Dish Network on a 70" Sharp Aquos Quattron TV, with sound routed into Yamaha HTR-6230 5-channel theater sound amp. Everything is/WAS controlled by the Dish remote, never had to touch the Sharp or Yamaha remotes. For Xmas I picked up an 85" Samsung 7000 UHD TV. Last weekend we finally got the TV's swapped out.

Some big differences between then and now- The old Sharp had like SIX HDMI plugs, optical plug, and a wall of jacks for basic stereo and component input/outputs. The new Samsung has all of 3 HDMI plugs, a coax plug and an optical cable plug.

The new TV has a bazillion features the old TV didn't have, I do have the Dish remote programmed to run the TV's 'basics', but accessing the higher-end features requires the TV's remote. That's no problem..

What IS a problem, is that once the optical cable is connected and the Yamaha amp is chosen for sound, the TV speakers go dead, great, but the problem is, the TV's volume control ALSO goes dead- as in, with the TV in 'Yamaha' mode, the TV's volume control is disabled---when I try to control the volume, the TV shows an "Optical Output" notice instead of the TV's volume levels, meaning the TV's volume control is DEAD. There's no way to control the volume via TV remote... Who at Samsung thought THAT was a good idea? So instead of ONE remote that used to do everything, in addition to needing to use the TV's remote to access the higher functions, I ALSO had to clean the dust off the Yamaha remote just we can adjust the volume now. THREE remotes needed... banghead.gif

So, does anyone know of, or use, a good universal remote, where I could at least get it to control the volume AND the basic TV at the same time?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

No HDMI connection to the receiver? If that has an ARC connection, that's what I'd use and then the TV would send the signals to the receiver, and no need for any new remote.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Check out Harmony remotes. Had a similar problem when the Samsung remote died.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    No HDMI connection to the receiver? If that has an ARC connection, that's what I'd use and then the TV would send the signals to the receiver, and no need for any new remote.
    Ditto, and on your receiver there might be a way to adjust its default power on volume.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 02-08-2024 at 5:34 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I have absolutely no idea about your particular issues, but by my BIL's recommendation we're using this one that runs everything but does require some sort of Fire device. Backlit buttons and some programmable buttons are nice. This is now the only remote we use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RX4HKTD...roduct_details

I use Logitech harmony remote with success. Think they no longer make them, but are still for sale. Brian
    Brian

I also have an 85" Samsung TV. It's connected to an Onkyo RZ50 A/V receiver via one HDMI cable.

When I turn on the TV, it automatically signals the receiver to turn on. When I use the TV remote to adjust the volume, it adjusts the volume on the A/V receiver.

If I pop in a DVD or Blueray, it automatically switches the receiver to the "DVD BR" source.

It all works surprisingly well. Hopefully, you can do the same setup without having to bother with an optical audio cable.

I used to use Logitech remotes, they were great. Then everything started supporting signals across hdmi and it became unnecessary. So if you can't do CEC control the harmony is the way to go.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

CEC lets components talk to each other and share functions like volume control power on/off, input select, etc. CEC has to be enabled on the components, most that I am aware of come with it disabled. CEC works over HDMI so as suggested above I recommend connecting the TV to the receiver with HDMI and utilizing the ARC (Audio Return Channel) to pipe sound from the TV to the receiver.

On my system I use the Alexa remote or the Roku remote and they will both power on/off the receiver and TV as well as control the volume on the receiver and automatically select the correct input.

I have used many programmable remotes and using the CEC functionality is SO MUCH EASIER! I hope I never have to go back to universal remotes again.

I don't think Logitech is still making the Harmony universal remotes. The last time I tried to program my Harmony remote is was a real headache just getting the Logitech Windows 7 USB driver to work on Windows 10/11.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-08-2024 at 8:38 PM.

I didn't know anything about this stuff, but this explanation looked pretty good.

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how...hy-you-should/

The one I linked earlier runs everything we have with no problems, and some pluses, so that's good enough for me. We aren't running anything really old though.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-08-2024 at 8:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    My optical output on a Samsung doesn't have volume control by the TV. The connected unit controls the sound. Though our set up doesn't kill the TV's sound output. For that we use the TV volume control via the Direct TV remote.

What gets me is our old Samsung TV had a connector for our old DVD player. It appears our current Samsung doesn't have a connection for the DVD player. Our Blueray player can play DVDs so I haven't been too bothered by it.

Our old TV had loads of interface connections. The new one seems to have dropped many of them.

This was my solution to having to use different remotes >

Sofa Organizer.jpg

It has been doing a great job for years now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The trend in TVs these days is to only have one, or maybe two, HDMI inputs. You're lucky to have three HDMI inputs these days. I am not up on the latest, but I know for lot of years the Logitech Harmony remotes were considered the gold standard.

My TV does not have enough HDMI ports for everything so my receiver does the HDMI switching. I use good speakers, not the TV speakers, for my sound. My TV has no tuner and no smart TV so I don't need to get sound from the TV.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 02-09-2024 at 4:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    +1 on Logitech harmony. it works on the concept of “activities “. An activity might be to watch tv or listen to the radio or stream content through Apple TV. You set it up by telling it what components you have. Then you define an activity, telling it which components are involved and what the settings are. The setup isn’t that hard and the software app guides you through it. Finally, you download your setup to the remote.

The bad news is that Logitech discontinued the harmony remotes. They still support the remotes and that includes a huge library of components. We have used the Harmony One for over a decade and love it. I should really go on eBay and find another one. The battery is user replaceable and easy to get so buying an extra remote and storing shouldn’t be a problem.

Shame they discontinued them, I have a couple. If the buttons start getting bad, you can buy stickers to refurbish them - they aren't too hard to get apart to apply the stickers. Probably other refurbishing ideas too, such as rubbing with banana oil at midnight while facing south .

Thanks all for the replies! I'm thinking the HDMI-ARC output may be the answer to my problem, just need to give it a try-- I also found that the Dish remote CAN access the 'higher' functions, just haven't figured out all the little secrets. I HAVE pretty much figured out the TV's remote, and more important, so has the wife!
    --thanks for that link Tom, it taught me a few things, and after a bit more digging into the TV's functions I found that the HDMI-CEC ref'd in the link applies, found the 'Anynet+' feature, and that it's ON, so it appears I just need to move the HDMI cable from the HDMI2-out plug to the HDMI1-ARC plug...

Thanks all!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle