Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aftermarket table saw fence

aftermarket table saw fence

I'm looking for an aftermarket fence for my old Rockwell Unisaw. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which to buy or stay away from? Has anyone tried the Aqusquare? Thanks. -Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack
    I'm looking for an aftermarket fence for my old Rockwell Unisaw. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which to buy or stay away from? Has anyone tried the Aqusquare? Thanks. -Howard
    The Mule fence gets great comments on another forum that I'm "somewhat" active. ( ) Folks claim it's easy to install and use and report that it's accurate. You also have a number of other great choices available, including Biesemeyer, the Delta UniFence, various "alternative" Biesemeyer-style fences, the Vega, etc. Any of these will provide you with a good fence solution for your saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Howard,
    I have the Accusquare fence from Mule Cabinetmakers on a contractors saw. The fence was relatively simple to install and I am thrilled with the performance of it. That said, if I had a Unisaw, I would probably go with the Unifence or Beisemeyer to "stay in the tradition".
    I think you will like the Accusquare if you choose to go with it. I believe it is the least expensive option if money is one of your concerns.
    Dave

Howard,

No direct experience with the Mule, but it has recieved good comments.

I have the Shop Fox Clasic which I really like. It's on sale right now from Grizzly for $259, including the 7' rails and legs. Most of the Bies clones, like the Shop Fox are pretty much the same and all good. Honestly I believe that most all of the aftermarket fences are good. It's just a matter of chosing the one with the capabilities you need most.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I owned the Mule for several years on my old contractor saw. I will say it was better than what came with the saw, however, I think there are better fences on the market for the same price or higher. I would look seriously at the Vega, also a Beis. or Beis clone is great. You can also see if anyone has any for sale on this site. I remember reading about someone who was sent two Jet fences, you may be able to work a deal.

Why I did not like the Mule: it seemed light weight, it flexed at the rear which impacted performance.

What I liked: the slots made it nice to add fixtures and sacrificial fence.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Howard, I had a Vega fence on my old craftsman TS that was recently destroyed while moving (and yes, they bent the tubular rail as well). It was very easy to install and extremely accurate over the 4+ years I used it. I've no complaints about it. Like was mentioned above, most aftermarket fences are good, just a matter of picking the one with the right features and right price.

Be well,

Doc

Biesemeyer Fence

Howard,

I bought the 52" Biesemeyer fence for my Grizzly 1023 about 4 years ago. Simply the best! After four years I can't think of one thing I would change or even ask for in a saw fence. I haven't even had to recalibrate my fence since it was installed, it is rock solid but on the high side as far as price goes.

Mule cab

I bought it and very happy with. There was 1 boner I did, not fully understanding the instructions at one point, but worked around that. It's been on for around two months now, and I cannot get any flex out of, unless maybe I'm pushing material way to hard against the fence. I set it up to rip 36" to the right, around 23" to the left. I got the long rails, and also got the accessory router fence. I have 4 routers in tables now, but kinda need another once in a while, so I also got the blank router table. Haven't gotten router attached yet though to try out the fence.
    I've been going to do a review on it, but haven't had the time. I could email you the pics if you need them. It's mounted on a griz 1023 cabinet saw. I really like the knob on the fence instead of a lever, though if someone else has used it, seems like they bear down on the knob to tighten it, which is not necessary. Just slightly snug it. Hasn't moved yet. Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Beismeyer!

I put a Beismeyer on my saw and love it. It took almost 30 minutes to install and set up. I even re-read the instructions to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Simply a great fence that doesn't move and is always square to the table.

I would get another one if someone stole this one. It will never break or wear out, so it would have to be stolen.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a Vega fence.

I installed a Vega fence on my Rojek Euro slider cabinet saw. It is a huge improvement over the factory fence that came with my saw. I really like the micro adjust feature on the Vega fence. I use it all the time. It is kind of expensive, around $400, but for me, it was money well spent. I had to modify a bunch of the mounting brackets to install the fence on my saw. However, since you have a Unisaw, I would bet you can get the Vega fence installed in an hour or less.

Wendell

In case this guy needs backin' up....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    I put a Beismeyer on my saw and love it. It took almost 30 minutes to install and set up. I even re-read the instructions to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Simply a great fence that doesn't move and is always square to the table.

I would get another one if someone stole this one. It will never break or wear out, so it would have to be stolen.
    ......he don't!! I know two pros that have bought second and third TS's and they buy the Beis. I wish I had invented it.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Wink

I bought a Vega several years ago when I found it on special for $170 and it just WONDERFUL. The old fence that I got with the ts.would drive me nuts because I would measure from the blade then I would have to square it to the table, measure from the blade, square it to the table ect. You get the idea. Now I just calibate it to the blade width and set it on the dimension that I want to cut and it is right there. What a joy it is to be able to do that. I have it mounted on an old Craftsman ts which does everything that I want to do.

love my vega.............
    chris

I bought the Unifence when I got my Delta a couple of years ago and think it works great. I added the 30" extension and have a great work area now. Holds all of the turning tools when I am working on the lathe!! Bill
    Bill MacLachlan

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack
    Howard,

I have a 50" Vega and a new addition, an INcra TS-III. I think I'm keeping the Incra on my saw.

You can see a write-up with pics of the Vega here and my newly finished review of the Incra TS-III here.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages