Thread: Modifing a Super Dust Deputy

Modifing a Super Dust Deputy

So my Super Dust Deputy has a 5in input. I am using a 5 in to 6in hvac adapter to jump up to some 6inch hose. Think it is possible to enlarge the input of the super dust deputy to be 6in. I really don't want to have to buy the newer one that has the 6in input.

I use the 5-to-6 adapter on mine and it's worked fine for years.

Nothing is impossible with modifications, but the adapter would be the low effort fix. I have no idea what the guts of the SDD are like.

Mine doesn't have an adapter more like an insert. With the insert the DC to Dust Deputy connection is 4" and without it's 6" and the tool connection can be either 4" or 5" similar. I don't see an mods necessary, so I guess the OP has a slightly older version? I've had mine connected in the 6" connection for a few years and it works great.

I have a 5 to 6 adapter on the input for the super dust deputy, was just thinking I could see some performance improvements by opening the super dust deputy inlet up to 6 in

Maybe you should calculate the expected improvement before you jump into this. My guess is it’s pretty small.

You're talking about the inlet that the actual impeller connects to?

I just went and looked, all of the ports on mine are 6"

So you guys must be talking about the Super Dust Deputy 4/5.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 02-09-2024 at 9:12 AM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I'd 3d print an adapter. The short length of extra constriction won't do much, but it is of course measurable.

OP, I think I have a similar question- This is my setup (DC is the Grizzly G1030): https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....2&d=1707483934
    As I am trying figure out the configuration for my DC system, I was planning to run 6 inch pipes as far as I could, but when I realized that the Super Dust Deputy has a 5 inch port on the Tool-side, I decided to run 5 inch pipes instead. Would running 6 inch pipes be a benefit at all, since the 5 inch opening on the Dust Deputy will limit it?

The problem is that nobody carries 5 inch (either in galvanized or PVC) in my area. I can find some metal pipes, but no fittings. So the next option is to run 4 inch across my shop- I have one run that is 60 feet. Is 4 inch going to be good enough to hold suction at that distance? I should have plenty of power from the DC (supposed to be 2300 CFM), but I don't really know how that will work in the real world.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about this.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Keep in mind that the unit you have may have been designed and optimized for the 5" inlet. Increasing the inlet to 6" "may" not improve performance and could potentially reduce performance and if you look at the unit, it's not going to be easy to do that because of how the inlet is designed. You might want to speak with Oneida to at least get their thoughts on this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Hobbs View Post
    OP, I think I have a similar question- This is my setup (DC is the Grizzly G1030): https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....2&d=1707483934
    As I am trying figure out the configuration for my DC system, I was planning to run 6 inch pipes as far as I could, but when I realized that the Super Dust Deputy has a 5 inch port on the Tool-side, I decided to run 5 inch pipes instead. Would running 6 inch pipes be a benefit at all, since the 5 inch opening on the Dust Deputy will limit it?

The problem is that nobody carries 5 inch (either in galvanized or PVC) in my area. I can find some metal pipes, but no fittings. So the next option is to run 4 inch across my shop- I have one run that is 60 feet. Is 4 inch going to be good enough to hold suction at that distance? I should have plenty of power from the DC (supposed to be 2300 CFM), but I don't really know how that will work in the real world.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about this.
    I have modified my dust collection piping numerous times over the last 24 yrs. tore it all out and started over the last time. Had mostly 6" metal 30 ga. from cyclone, Super Dust Deputy, trunk line to 4" take offs/ blast gates to tools. Had one 3" over to drill press. When I removed the 6" line to the Radial arm saw there was over a 1/2" of dust in bottom of pipe. New lines are 6" piped differently with a 5" wye by cyclone angling across to Radial arm saw with new dust collection fence. Don't get the build up of sawdust at Radial Arm saw now, much happier. Have a 5" drop to Minmax 12" j/p, 6" all the way to 12" Woodmaster planer, 6" to three 4" to Table saw, jointer, and edge sander. 4" wye from 6" trunk for 15" wide belt sander, 6" trunk reduces down to 4" after Woodmaster planer, serves 6x48" sander, Uniplane, and stroke sander. Have shopvac/dust deputy hard piped to workbench (4 outlets), 2 bandsaws, 2 drill presses, top guard on SawStop ICS, 24" Leigh dovetail jig. Panel saw has metal Dust Deputy/shop vac. Furnace fan pulling thru two 24x24x18 bag filters with 24"x24"x4" prefilters. Keeps shop fairly dust free NOW, has not been the case in the past.

I used to think 6" pipe was great now realize need to size pipe to tools and airflow of dust collector. NEED a shop air cleaner and great filters on dust collection equipment .
    IT IS THE SMALL PARTICLES YOU CAN'T SEE THAT HARM/KILL YOU. Big particles are fire hazard and a nuisance not deadly.
    I will not wear a mask all the time in the shop, sometimes as needed I do wear one. My shop is a basement shop, so do worry about fine dust getting elsewhere in house mainly thru furnace, which has an electronic air cleaner.

Home Depot will ship 5" metal duct to you (20008 zip) Master Flow 5 in. x 5 ft. Round Metal Duct Pipe CP5X60 - The Home Depot, also adj 90 ell's Master Flow 5 in. 90-Degree Round Adjustable Elbow B90E5 - The Home Depot
    Don't recommend tees.

ebay Imperial GV0989 5" Full Flow HEAT Duct Wye Galvanized 8932477 | eBay

good luck
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 02-09-2024 at 1:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post

My local Lowe's and HD carries 5" pipe- and even some 90 deg elbows. But they didn't have any wyes, or have the ability to order online. This is very helpful- I didn't even think to check with ebay. Even better, that dealer is about 45 minutes from me! So I'm hoping I can just drive over there and load up. Even if I have to pay for shipping, it is cheaper than the other sources I found.

Thanks again!
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC