Thread: Glue bleed through on veneer

Glue bleed through on veneer

I recently vacuum pressed some walnut burl veneer panels and got a little glue bleed through on some. Using plastic resin glue. My first thought on removing the bleed through was to use a cabinet/card scraper, but I’m curious how others tackle the issue?

Thanks,
    Tom
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I usually just sand off the bleed through when I'm sanding the face of the veneer. A card scraper could do the job, but you'd be following the scraper with the sander, wouldn't you?

Yes, I will be sanding after scraping. I’m always nervous about sanding veneer too much as I’ve had issues with sanding through in the past. What grit do you usually start with for removing the bleed through?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Yes, I will be sanding after scraping. I’m always nervous about sanding veneer too much as I’ve had issues with sanding through in the past. What grit do you usually start with for removing the bleed through?
    180. then 320 to finish. If you have some offcuts of the veneer, you could make a test piece to check your technique.