Thread: Japanese mortise gauge ID

Japanese mortise gauge ID

I bought this gauge close to 15 years ago, don't remember what I spent, who made it, or where I got it from. Tried to use it a short while ago, and didn't have the greatest experience, probably because the piece wasn't clamped (I was just trying out the gauge after a long while). The blades could use a bit of help as well, will be getting to that.

My Kanji skills are non-existent, but perhaps someone can help identify the maker.

mortise gauge 1.jpg

mortise gauge 2.jpg

Thx,

Ned

I can't be sure, but I believe Derek posted a picture of his gauge made by Kinshiro and it was discontinued. I have been mostly a power tool woodworker, and am developing more of an interest in hand tools and sharpening. I would be interested in seeing if I can help the blades and develop skill in using it. If you would sell it to me please send me a PM. Thank you.

You are very lucky. The gauge is indeed made by kinshirou (金四郎). As the previous poster said, discontinued, and holds its value well.

Thanks for confirming, David - lucky indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    You are very lucky. The gauge is indeed made by kinshirou (金四郎). As the previous poster said, discontinued, and holds its value well.

Yeah, saw another post of Derek's while searching yesterday, and it's definitely the same make, Kinshiro. I'm in the same boat as you, mostly used machines, but having a strong interest in hand tools. So won't be selling this gauge at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Gelman View Post
    I can't be sure, but I believe Derek posted a picture of his gauge made by Kinshiro and it was discontinued. I have been mostly a power tool woodworker, and am developing more of an interest in hand tools and sharpening. I would be interested in seeing if I can help the blades and develop skill in using it. If you would sell it to me please send me a PM. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    I bought this gauge close to 15 years ago, don't remember what I spent, who made it, or where I got it from. Tried to use it a short while ago, and didn't have the greatest experience, probably because the piece wasn't clamped (I was just trying out the gauge after a long while). The blades could use a bit of help as well, will be getting to that.

My Kanji skills are non-existent, but perhaps someone can help identify the maker.

mortise gauge 1.jpg

mortise gauge 2.jpg

Thx,

Ned

Ned, you lucky fish! Great find. Yep, Kinshiro.

Here is how you use them (from my website) ...

Mark across the width with the mortice chisel, as shown below.

To set up the mortice gauge, simply place the ends of the knives (or points) in the ends of the cut. This sets up the cutting width.

Now slide the head of the gauge against the work piece to set its depth. This completes setting up the mortice gauge.

Mark the mortice lines.

And then mark the tenons with the same settings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, Derek!

Will study what you wrote, thx much for the details --

When I used the gauge a couple of weeks ago, it seemed like the upper blade was scoring much lighter than the lower blade, requiring one to actually apply pressure on the upper blade, which definitely felt wrong. Just took the blades out, and had a look, and can see that the upper blade is slightly bowed, i.e. when turned upside down and place on a flat surface, there is a gap, doesn't lay flat.

This is likely the source if the inconsistent scoring, please let me know if you have any thoughts on how to address it. I can supply more detailed photos if that helps.

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Ned, you lucky fish! Great find. Yep, Kinshiro.

Here is how you use them (from my website) ...

Mark across the width with the mortice chisel, as shown below.

To set up the mortice gauge, simply place the ends of the knives (or points) in the ends of the cut. This sets up the cutting width.

Now slide the head of the gauge against the work piece to set its depth. This completes setting up the mortice gauge.

Mark the mortice lines.

And then mark the tenons with the same settings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Problem revealed

As I thought, the top blade seems to be bent up slightly, causing the cutting edge to be a bit higher than the bottom blade, hence the scoring imbalance.

My poor man's feeler gauge of a piece of paper measuring .004 easily slips under the top blade on my jointer table, and does not fit under the bottom blade.

Derek - wonder if you might have any suggestions about how to remedy this.

gauge2.jpg

gauge1.jpg

Ned

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Mortice-Gauge

So much for the early bird gets the worm LOL. If you ever decide to sell, please let me know. I will pay you well for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    As I thought, the top blade seems to be bent up slightly, causing the cutting edge to be a bit higher than the bottom blade, hence the scoring imbalance.

My poor man's feeler gauge of a piece of paper measuring .004 easily slips under the top blade on my jointer table, and does not fit under the bottom blade.

Derek - wonder if you might have any suggestions about how to remedy this.

Ned
    Ned, if the bend is the reason for shortening the knife, then "unbend" it. The likely reason for the bend is the gauge being used with a single knife extended quite far, and heavy pressure used. If mine, I would place the shaft over two raised areas and carefully tap with a hammer.

Do not attempt to use a powered source to sharpen the knives. Only do this by hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, Derek --

You could be right about why the bend occurred, but have used this gauge very little up until now.

Will give things a try and report back --

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Ned, if the bend is the reason for shortening the knife, then "unbend" it. The likely reason for the bend is the gauge being used with a single knife extended quite far, and heavy pressure used. If mine, I would place the shaft over two raised areas and carefully tap with a hammer.

Do not attempt to use a powered source to sharpen the knives. Only do this by hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek