Thread: Grizzly G0513x2 Bandsaw: Can I use a dolly in lieu of a Mobile Base

Grizzly G0513x2 Bandsaw: Can I use a dolly in lieu of a Mobile Base

I purchased a Grizzly G0513x2 bandsaw, which is being delivered this week. Due to limited work space, I imagine that I will need to move it around the garage. Basically, I will roll it about 10 feet off to the side when I am not using it. I see mixed reviews on various Mobile Bases. Some say that mobile bases make their saws "tippy." Others have problems because the floor is not perfectly flat (like mine). Any chance that I could simply use a dolly to move the bandsaw around. Or would you advise that I invest in a mobile base?

If you are young enough to handle the top heavy machine on a dolley, then yes the dolley will work. But be careful with pressure on the table, the trunnions below the table are pretty fragile.

I have the same saw
    A mobile base is proffered, it keeps the machine very close to the ground.
    A dolly will certainly work but raises the, already top heavy machine, further than necessary.

I had a 513x2 and now have a Laguna 18hd. I bolted a piece of 1.5" square tubing on the long side of the base through the holes already there. The tubes ar long enough to bolt a 3" stem caster on each end. It has worked just fine and never felt like it was going to tip over. I don't have a picture on my home right now.

I'll start by saying that the g0513x2bf has been the easiest to move out of anything I've put on my appliance dolly. Once I had one strap secured, moving it around was really easy to balance it on my shoulder. That said, I wouldn't make that my everyday mobile base. It's far more work that a good mobile base, and a good mobile base includes leveling.

I'm assuming your floor is flat enough but not level. No big cracks that would make small wheels run away in fear. https://www.grizzly.com/products/sho...le-base/d2058a. This is what I have mine on. This style of mobile base is my go to for any tool in my shop because it's easy as pie to level based on the resistance.of the leveling knobs. Moving it around I have never felt it's uneasy.

I had this saw on the Grizzly mobile base and it was pretty good, though not as confidence-inspiring as a stationary setup. The rubber pads under the leveling feet allow for some wiggle.
    JonathanJungDesign.com