Thread: As long as I'm posting ugly turnings...

As long as I'm posting ugly turnings...

This hollow form is black walnut, harvested locally. When I turned it, the sap wood was darker and yellower than the cream colored sap wood I normally see. I used lacquer as a finish, and that seemed to make it worse. With time it is just getting worse. It is about a year old. How can I keep the nice contrasting cream color, instead of the ugly, muddy, yellow color?

4E8A6416.jpg 4E8A6415.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Beyond keeping it out of direct sunlight to slow the progression, there is not much to be done here. The heartwood will get lighter in color and the sapwood will darken a bit with age. However, they will never match. BTW, I don't think this is ugly whatsoever. It is natural and wood does what wood does.

Agree with Dwayne, it isn't ugly and IMO has a nice shape and that is more important than the grain color. I also dislike yellowing but that's what often happens.

I find with walnut when sanding heart wood will stain sap wood and make it muddy. I was told you can bleach the sap wood back to a lighter color. Having said that the natural progression of all woods is to change. Generally speaking light woods darken and dark woods lighten. Walnut will tend to reach a sameness eventually. You can slow it down but you can't stop it. I've got pieces that the figure in the walnut is almost impossible to see. That's why form is important.

Nothing ugly about it Brian! Nicely done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mildew or hand contamination will remove the bright sapwood color as fast as you can turn it. Don't touch the sapwood when turning. Have you ever seen a purple or dark stain on your hands if you rub them on the wet wood when turning? The acid in lemon juice will limit the cotamination when you are turning. And as stated, all wood changes color due to ultra violet light exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    ... I've got pieces that the figure in the walnut is almost impossible to see. That's why form is important.
    Bingo! Form's the principal thing to do well.

Blog Entries
    References to ugliness are not allowed when showing creativity. Here is a turning by my Father In Law, done when he was 13.

Photo on 2-5-24 at 8.16 PM.jpg Photo on 2-5-24 at 8.17 PM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

I don't think it's ugly or unappealing at all! But if you want a more matte look, try a finish that contains UV inhibitors/UV blockers.