Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smart watches?

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    A
    Mine is the Bluetooth type; I think the designation for the more standalone type is LTE, but some of the other folks participating in this thread have far more info on this than I do.
    I detailed this earlier in the thread, but that is generally correct. The first version is dependent upon your physical mobile phone to "do the deed" relative to phone calls; the latter version has a cellular radio within it that has it's own cellular credentials with your carrier of choice to support calls. With Apple, someone calling would still call only your mobile phone's number and both your phone, wherever it might be, and your watch would ring. For outgoing calls, only the phone's number would show for CID. I suspect that the Android version would work the same because it makes the most sense. The cost to register the watch with the carrier is much less than a normal "line" of service in most cases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For Pam’s watch with cell service, the watch cost $100 more and the service is $10 a month plus tax and fees but I haven’t noticed the exact cost per month. It’s not much. She can go on the trails or out on the lake and not have to take her phone but still do phone calls and text even including pictures.

During my research, I found a lot of complaints from people who weren't knowledgeable about the additional monthly fee if you purchased an LTE version. I bought a Bluetooth as I use Bluetooth on my cell for my hearing devices, both CI sound processor and hearing aid. Also, typically, the LTE models are slightly more expensive but if you consider they are like a cell within themselves, obviously the electronics is going to be more complex so they are priced accordingly.

Jim, the Android version is works the same.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I experienced a feature on my apple watch today that is now my all time favorite. I walked my dog down to the mailbox which is located about .5 mile away. As I walked back within site of the Shop, my watch made a new sound. I looked down and saw the following message: "XXX" left behind. This item is no longer detected near you. It was telling me my iphone was no longer near me! I patted my pocket and sure enough, it was not there. 1.) I don't normally carry my cell phone in my oversized safety vest pocket. 2.) I picked up a bunch of branches in the road beyond the mailbox. 3.) Sure enough, my phone was on the side of the road.

Somehow, at some point, I had turned on the "Notify when left behind" feature when setting up some Find My features.

I found an article online how to set up this notification so you can verify you have it set up on your apple watch and iphone or ipad. https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use...behind-iphone/
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

'Glad you found that feature, Mike. I've been remiss in setting that up for Professor Dr. SWMBO as she frequently leaves her phone sitting "wherever". It probably doesn't help within a short circle of BT coverage, but for those times when she moves farther from it, she'll feel "the tickle".
    --

I get that message every time I go to the gym and leave my phone in the locker. It is a cool feature.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just got a used Apple series 8 yesterday mostly for the heart, blood ox, sleep and other health monitoring abilities. After getting it charged and playing with it last night I’m just hoping I can get it all figured out at my age.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I have an Apple phone and now considering an Apple Watch.
    Is there one that will monitor my blood sugar?
    See adds all the time for watches that monitor blood sugar and then have no specifics about it, all so far seem to be adds from China.
    Thanks
    Ron
    The trick with blood sugar is that it requires some sort of needle or probe sticking through one's skin. If there were a reliable sugar sensing device that worked on the skin surface only that would be big news.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Just got a used Apple series 8 yesterday mostly for the heart, blood ox, sleep and other health monitoring abilities. After getting it charged and playing with it last night I’m just hoping I can get it all figured out at my age.
    Michael, I bought a Samsung smartwatch. It took me about a week to figure out what I wanted to use. It'll take just a short time, I am sure!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    The trick with blood sugar is that it requires some sort of needle or probe sticking through one's skin. If there were a reliable sugar sensing device that worked on the skin surface only that would be big news.
    I have a couple family members who have diabetes and they'd love something that didn't require finger pricks! Our oldest son uses one of the DEX (?) monitors where he can monitor his blood sugar via his cell phone. Even it requires a skin prick IIRC.
    Ken

Just curious, can the type that doesn't need to be close to your phone have the capability to be the key to my Tesla, like my phone is?

They have a ring that functions as a key, but I never wear rings.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Just curious, can the type that doesn't need to be close to your phone have the capability to be the key to my Tesla, like my phone is?

They have a ring that functions as a key, but I never wear rings.
    It works that way (for both cellular capable and WiFi only) watch for smart devices like my front door lock using Apple Home, but I don't know whether or not if it's supported for your vehicle. Both the phone and the watch use the same near-field technology so it's more about the app that does the work being able to live on both devices.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    I experienced a feature on my apple watch today that is now my all time favorite. I walked my dog down to the mailbox which is located about .5 mile away. As I walked back within site of the Shop, my watch made a new sound. I looked down and saw the following message: "XXX" left behind. This item is no longer detected near you. It was telling me my iphone was no longer near me! I patted my pocket and sure enough, it was not there. 1.) I don't normally carry my cell phone in my oversized safety vest pocket. 2.) I picked up a bunch of branches in the road beyond the mailbox. 3.) Sure enough, my phone was on the side of the road.
    I got an iPhone 14 in July and suddenly I started getting those alerts about my iPad being left behind all the time. Apparently, if my iPad isn't on my home WI-FI my iPhone will monitor the location. I get the iPad alert so often is like the boy who cried wolf. I work in downtown Minneapolis. I will leave my iPad at my office desk and will get alerted when I walk down to the lobby of the office building to get lunch. I will put my iPad in the trunk and go into a store and get the alert. This week I even got an alert when I was about five feet from the iPad. I was at an event where I camped for two weeks this past summer. I would leave my iPad in my tent during the day and got the darn alert at least once a day. (I was not worried about the iPad being taken. I was close enough to see my tent much of the time, but not close enough to still be in range of it.)

Several years ago I purchased an Apple smart watch for my wife, not to track her health but to give her a good workng watch. She still wears it to this day and it has never failed to work. It syncs to here Iphone just fine and it has been a good data gather for a number of health issues including heart rate and others. If I were to replace it I would buy one that would do O2 levels, and maybe blood sugar levels. as well. Prior to her apple watch, she purchased several android cheap ones, they ALL are inferior to the apple watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I get the iPad alert so often is like the boy who cried wolf.
    If you scroll down towards the bottom of that link I included above, you will see a way to flag specific locations so you will not be notified - such as your work.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."