Thread: Just saying Thanks!

Just saying Thanks!

I’m making several federal style end tables and using Steve Latta’s videos to guide me through the learning process. https://www.finewoodworking.com/vide...ral-side-table

As I build the drawers I am curious about whether or not I should apply finish to the drawer interiors. Happy to report that I turned to Sawmill Creek for advice and found the information I needed.

So, I just want to say thanks to all who share their expertise and insights here.

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

The Creek is certainly a great source of information and advice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I always finish inside of drawers. At least a coat or two. Not to the level of the outside parts. I think colonial folks didn’t do it because finish was imported and very expensive?

Blog Entries
    I finish the drawer boxes inside and out including both sides of the bottom.

Since your drawers are a close fit to the opening and guide rails you may want/need to limit the number of coats on the outside surfaces of the sides.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Finishing the inside of drawers is just fine and can help them stay cleaner over time. But...don't use an oil based product for that. Use shellac or a waterborne finish so you don't have a permanent odor in the drawer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wonderful looking pieces, well done. Personally I don't like finished interior drawers. It doesn't feel right and I like the surprise of that beautiful, fresh looking wood with, usually, a walnut ply 1/4 or 1/2 bottom. I sand them to 220 and call it good. I love the look and feel of fresh maple, which is pretty much all I use. If you do, Jim is dead on with the product. Also almost every natural, oil-based product will amber the wood.