Thread: Scotch brite to rub out oil finish

Scotch brite to rub out oil finish

I'm on my fifth coat of Velvit oil on a walnut stock. Last coat I just let dry to a gloss.

I bought a few scotchbrite pad, thinking maybe the white to do the final rub for a satin finish instead of 4o steel wool?

Any thoughts.

White is a good choice. They shouldnt do anything but push fibers down at most. I use them with the hard waxed oils to a good result.

Wait, I'll change that. You're looking to bring it to a matte finish (from gloss)? White might not pull that off since it's not really abrasive. It's worth trying because at worst case, scotchbrite says it's the same as 0000.. I'm just still not sure.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 02-01-2024 at 3:03 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Wait, I'll change that. You're looking to bring it to a matte finish (from gloss)? White might not pull that off since it's not really abrasive. It's worth trying because at worst case, scotchbrite says it's the same as 0000.. I'm just still not sure.
    Your right I didnt catch that. White shouldnt change the sheen

I bought a pack, white(7445) , Maroon? 7447, Gray? 7448 and blue. No harm in trying the white first.

Quote Originally Posted by rich jackson View Post
    I bought a pack, white(7445) , Maroon? 7447, Gray? 7448 and blue. No harm in trying the white first.
    May require a whole new coat.

The white pads may work, but they are the finest of the ultra fine pads. I think you will be more productive with the ultra fine gray pad 7448. Please test with a test board or in an inconspicuous area

There is a gold one made for auto finishing that I end up using more than the others for finish work. They come in boxes of perforated rolls numbered 1,2,and 3. I forget which is which I've had them so long. You just pull out the end of the roll and tear off a sheet.

They can be seen on the top shelf in this pic. I bought them off ebay years ago. The gold is very fine, but the white has no abrasive at all in it. It's much finer than any other Scotchbrite I know of. It's Much finer than the gray.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-01-2024 at 10:11 PM.

Found it. Looks like 3 is the fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19612995378...pid=1722704457

Thanks Tom, I woke up this morning thinking about that, but forgot what color it was!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

3m talk about muddying the water with all these pads and codes.

Anyway i did one pass with briwax and a white pad. Still on the shinny side but very smooth now.

Don't use steel wool on open-grain woods especially not Oak. tiny bits of steel gets into the pores and in oak they will react with the tannic acid and turn black if it gets wet.