Thread: Cottonwood bowls

Cottonwood bowls

I just cored and finish turned some partially dry cottonwood that was cut into half logs and sealed in October. The largest bowl is 15 x 5.5” and will be gifted to a neighbor for a popcorn bowl. All three are finished with Mahoney’s walnut oil and finishing wax.

I wish I’d made the foot a little bigger on the middle bowl but it still sits fairly stable.

Comments and critiques are really welcome and appreciated. I know these are very basic/simple - I’m still trying to get comfortable with basic design/curves and working on better finishing cuts. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to do more design/complex patterns but I’m not there yet.

Thanks,
    Tom

IMG_9378.jpg IMG_9380.jpg IMG_9379.jpg

Nice looking bowls Tom!

Nicely done. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the comments!

Nice result, I did not know cottonwood had that much color and grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Nice result, I did not know cottonwood had that much color and grain.
    I moved to Utah 3 years ago from Illinois, and was sad to leave so much walnut, cherry and maple. Now cottonwood and elm are the most available woods where I live. But honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised after hearing a lot of negative things about cottonwood. It's fairly stringy turning and took a little longer sanding, though that could just be my lack of skill. Some people hate the sour smell (including my wife) but it reminds me of my childhood so I kind of like it.

Mike Mahoney did a demo at our club last year and said he used a lot of cottonwood when he lived here and liked it, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was also told that a lot of the really large cottonwood trees will have curly change at the bases. I turned this bowl a few months ago and had no idea it would look like this (finished with medium walnut Danish Oil to make it pop). Still kicking myself for only grabbing a couple pieces!:

IMG_8747.jpg

Thanks,
    Tom