Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience DIY tinting house paint?

Any experience DIY tinting house paint?

Been busy this month knocking out a couple dozen artsy bird houses and planters made out of a combination of concrete and fiber cement boards. Now I need to do the painting. Exterior house paint in a dozen colors in quarts is way too much paint and at $25 a quart wasteful. I'm thinking that buying a gallon of tintable concrete porch paint and a dozen tints from Mixol Universal Tints would be a better way to go. It should give me a lot of options without all the waste. Has anybody had good or bad luck tinting this kind of paint on a small scale?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It can certainly be done. I have a large selection of these from the craft store for similar projects.

https://www.michaels.com/product/dec...youMayAlsoLike

https://www.michaels.com/product/out...-2oz-M10194027

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 6.10.50 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-01-2024 at 7:14 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I wonder if using something like acrylic hobby paint (which comes in 2 oz containers typically) would work. I would imagine you would need to apply something on top to be weather resistant, but quick amazon search does come up with outdoor acrylic paints, though I've never used them. But if these are just needing for some artsy details, might be good enough?

The one issue of mixing your own paints (I do this sometimes for miniature painting) is that you'll probably never be able to match it again. For a bunch of different birdhouses (or minis), not really an issue, unless you run into something like you've used up the last of a mixed batch and notice one of the birdhouses is needing some touch ups.

Home depot used to use a good label for custom mixed paint. It showed quantity of each added color. No longer, now it is meaningless label with no useful information. I mix like one teaspoon of paint at a time until I get a good color then it can be cups at a time . I use fast food throw away spoons and dixie cups. They can be reused when dry.
    I was surprised our pineapple house paint has a bit of black in it.
    Delta machine gray is grey and blue. like 1/2 blue.
    Find a color mixing program online to start and tweak as needed.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Lowes offers 1/2 pint paint samples that they will tint to order. About $5 each
    Howard Garner

Yeah, those paint sample jars are low sheen interior so would need a clear overcoat, which is another challenge to find one that works.

Just a quick guess, but I'll need at least a gallon total so the small acrylic ones are out. I found some outdoor acrylics in larger sizes in the past that worked ok on wooden birdhouses a few years ago, but they have gotten pricey. That's why I'm searching for a better way.

The self tint feels like it gives me many options, I just wanted to know if these online tints work like what you see them do at Home Depot.

I doubt you will get any strong shades self tinting. I would buy primary colors and maybe black and white to mix.

Play with a mixing tool like this for ideas.
    Bill D.
    https://trycolors.com/#google_vignette

The "Sample" size paint from the home centers may be an alternative given small projects don't consume a lot of paint and the sample size are pretty inexpensive compared to larger containers. I've also bought quite a collection of them from the "oops" shelf in a "yuge" assortment of colors exactly for small projects and signs, etc. They were like a buck apiece or something like that from that part of the store.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

RustOleum sells enamel paint brush on paint , in 1/2 pints and pints… its pretty weather proof. My wrought iron fence held for 20 years or so. Bright colors and not that expensive.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I do this for things like barn hex sign decorations, bird houses, and outdoor furniture, but my method is probably not to your liking: I use a top-grade marine paint base, and tint with mineral based colors from Earth Pigments. You get very nice muted, earth tone colors that way, that never fade or change color.

Transtint seems to work if you have the right color. I had some latex tinted and when I got it home it was too white, it needed a bit of yellow. Few drops of Transtint yellow and I was in business.

What house painters carry is 16-oz squeeze bottles of Universal Colorant, like https://www.uspaintsupply.com/paint/...ing-colorants/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I do this for things like barn hex sign decorations, bird houses, and outdoor furniture, but my method is probably not to your liking: I use a top-grade marine paint base, and tint with mineral based colors from Earth Pigments. You get very nice muted, earth tone colors that way, that never fade or change color.
    Thanks Steve, I knew this wasn't an original idea. 2 questions please. Are you using the dry pigments and is the marine paint latex or oil?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    Thanks Steve, I knew this wasn't an original idea. 2 questions please. Are you using the dry pigments and is the marine paint latex or oil?

Thanks
    This is the paint I have mostly used: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca.../topside-paint. It's an oil base enamel, and pretty slow drying. Definitely something best applied outside, due to VOCs. I have also mixed the pigments with good success with Totalboat Halcyon polyurathane varnish (https://www.totalboat.com/products/h...-based-varnish). This is a water based poly, tough as nails, and much friendlier to apply. Does take a bit more of the pigment and/or multiple coats to achieve opaque color, though, and continual agitation of your mix when painting, because the water based poly doesn have sufficient viscosity to suspend the mineral pigments very well.

The pigments are dry mineral powders. I have a set of Earth Pigment's "mostly natural" ones, which have a wider color range than the pure "french clay" ones.