Thread: Dust collector 1/2 sucking 1/2 blowing

Dust collector 1/2 sucking 1/2 blowing

We have a pretty simple 1 1/2 hp delta dust collector. We upgraded the upper bag to the delta cartridge for better suction and less dust. Our dust collector is now 1/2 sucking and 1/2 what seems to be blowing. We took the hose off and reached all the way through and there doesn't seem to be any sort of blockage. If you stand in front of the dust collector with the bags to your left, with the hose completely off, the air that is blowing back is coming from the right-hand side out of the port where the hose goes, below the motor. the motor sounds totally normal. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Tamara White; 01-30-2024 at 8:54 PM. Reason: mis spelling

Not enough filter.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Could it be running backwards? It sounds exactly like the performance of my trash find Grizzly when it was wired wrong. It was thrown away because it was running backwards.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-31-2024 at 9:08 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The filter doesnt have any plastic or cardboard in it that could be blocking airflow? Sounds as though its trying to do its job but cant like blowing up your car tires with a straw.

remove filter and see how it sucks.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    remove filter and see how it sucks.
    Bill D.
    That's a good way to damage a dust collector.

OP, I would also check both how things are connected and to be sure that there are no physical obstructions within the new filter cartridge.

BTW, as an aside, dust collectors do not "suck" like vacuum cleaners. They operate on the principle of moving large volumes of air at a high speed but low static pressure which in turn is what moves the dust and chips. That's why they require larger duct work/hoses to operate efficiently.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

While Jim is correct that running a dust collector with no resistance from the filter can overload the motor, you could remove the filter, cover most of the area with some scrap cardboard or plywood and run it for a short period as a test. Sounds like some of the packaging material is still in place blocking the airflow. I'd start by carefully examining the filter to ensure all packing material is removed.

I guess I forgot to mention the obvious. Let it get to speed and immediately feel the airflow/pressure. Then turn it off. Maybe total 5 seconds run time. if the motor overheats in that time it is seriously overloaded by the fan and should not be used with that impeller.
    Bill D

Maurice could have the answer. Running backward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Maurice could have the answer. Running backward.
    If the only change made was replacing the bag with a cartridge I don't know how that could reverse the direction of the motor. Still think that the issue is with the cartridge filter, maybe switch back to the bag as a test or as suggested earlier run briefly with no filter and the outlet partially blocked with cardboard.