Thread: Tiger Maple Prep for Finish

Tiger Maple Prep for Finish

I am building a jewelry armoire out of walnut. The drawer fronts are tiger maple. I am using Waterlox Medium Sheen. What is the best sanding technique to prep the tiger maple? I have read sanding too fine a grit can actually reduce the “pop.”

Last sanding with ROS? If so what grit?

Last sanding with sanding block and paper? If so what grit?

thanks, ron

Some folks will use a dark water soluble dye first to darkent the figure, sanding it back, repeating, etc., before applying "the finish". I've used this technique myself for figured maple quite successfully. It can be used if you are still going to leave it "natural" color or with an alternative dye color for the less absorbent figure. As to your sanding question, I personally don't really sand up beyond 180 most of the time myself regardless of the species other than going a little higher on end grain.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Echoing what Jim said…

Here is a link to an old Charles Neil video about trace coating to enhance figured wood.

https://youtu.be/mjTSIiUiEOI?si=ksiDrXjPO672rnOQ

Sanding curly maple can tend to ripple the alternating end and flat grain of the curl, moreso if your sandpaper has a flexible backer. Finishing with a plane or scraper slightly diagonal to the curl rather than sanding can minimize that and produce a wonderful surface. Final sanding with the grain by hand using a rigid backer for the sandpaper is the next best bet. Going beyond 180-240 doesn't really accomplish much, but do raise the grain at your last sanding step by going over the piece with a damp rag, letting it dry, and then finish with a single light pass with sharp sandpaper of your last grit. This helps whether you are finishing with water or solvent based finishes.
    To lightly pop the grain I like using a coat of amber or garnet shellac followed by very light sanding. To really emphasize it, the dye and cut back technique described by Jim works wonderfully. Oil/pigment stains have never improved the look of curly maple in my hands.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Blog Entries
    This box was sanded to 120 and finished with Deft semi-gloss clear wood finish.
    maplebox.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee that wood is on fire!