Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best / Better methods to privately share large files?

Best / Better methods to privately share large files?

Afternoon all,

I need to share with a support team a video documenting a problem I'm having, but the video is too large (~400 mb) to attach to an email. I could post on an open forum (not SMC) but I want to keep the conversation private to eliminate the overhead of responding to guesses by those less than expert. The video is about 5 minutes. Gmail rejects even a 1 minute video as too large. Looked at the video options on my IPhone to reduce file size. Seems like there is only one. Lowest resolution is 1080p and I'm set on that.

The first few compression tools I googled up seem to get less than 50% compression, so I didn't explore that path any more deeply.

I got to thinking about setting up a private YouTube channel, posting the video there, and sending a link instead of an attachment. Haven't looked any deeper into that option yet since confirming I can set a private channel.

So, is the private YT channel a good solution or are there better choices?

Thanks for your help.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

https://www.dropbox.com/

Free up to 2 gb. Shouldn't have any trouble with that file but for $11.99 you can get 2 tb of storage including large files up to 100 gb, and delete the account after a month. Or $9.99/month for a year.

private video on YouTube is a fine option if you already have a YouTube account and don't already have cloud storage.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    https://www.dropbox.com/

Free up to 2 gb. Shouldn't have any trouble with that file but for $11.99 you can get 2 tb of storage including large files up to 100 gb, and delete the account after a month. Or $9.99/month for a year.
    Thanks Alan. Completely forgot about Dropbox.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I use a "private link" for a large file in my Microsoft Office365 OneDrive when I need to share a very large file.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Private on YouTube is an easy way to go, and pretty secure. Then you can delete it afterward, if you want to.

Apple mail has a feature where it keeps a temporary copy of the file on iCloud and only emails a link to large files. This is what I use most often because it is very easy and seems to work fine for recipients without them having to use another program. Dropbox is another good choice. Finally, for files that I want to remain available for a long tome I use the private option on Youtube.

Blog Entries
    Weekly I need to share a 2 gb video with our local cable company. I use the free Google Drive with my Gmail account where you just email a link to the recipient. Every few months I need to delete sent files to stay under the limit.
    NOW you tell me...

Google has a cloud based drive where you can store and share stuff.
    It's part of Gmail. You only get 15 GB though of free storage.

Yahoo mail has a similar feature but - they up the free storage to 1TB
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 01-30-2024 at 9:32 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I use a free file sharing site WeTransfer.com. It will send out emails to alert that files are ready to download. There is a time limit of a week or so, then the files are deleted.

Blog Entries
    I have been allowing specific access to files on a Google Drive without issue for years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In addition to the above, utilizing Zip type file compression can facilitate up/down load times for all.

How much if any reduction there is when using Zip depends on the file type. MP3, MP4, JPG and various others are already compressed and further compression may not help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    How much if any reduction there is when using Zip depends on the file type. MP3, MP4, JPG and various others are already compressed and further compression may not help.
    Yep, compressing a compressed file (and most video codecs these days are compressed), may actually make the file larger.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thanks to all who have responded. I set up a Dropbox account and tested sharing a link with that. Easy enough.

To all those that mentioned using Google Drive, thanks for pointing that out. I have Drive with my Gmail and have a few files stored there. But I had no idea I could share them externally. Guess I should pay more attention to the capabilities I have in hand...
    Brian