Thread: Finish advice please - large shelving project

Finish advice please - large shelving project

I am building a very large shelving project for retail wine display. Effectively it's 40 lineal feet of 18" deep by 72" tall shelving made from 18mm baltic birch plywood. I have a tight deadline and I am looking for a finish that would be easy to apply and reasonably fast-drying. Color is preferred to be a generic brown/walnut stain. I would like to spray and be done in one or two applications. Cost is not an object, although I don't really have the option of third-party finishing. Also, these shelves are to be assembled on-site, flat-pack ("Ikea") style, so everything will need to be prefinished and I might have to do some minor touchups. Overall surface to be stained/finished is about 1400 square feet.

Any recommendations? Looking at Rubio Monocoat but holy crap it will take me forever to hand-apply that much product.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I wouldnt do a waxed oil. You can hand apply a stain and use something like arm r seal for a top coat pretty quickly.

Blog Entries
    I've been going down the finish rabbit hole and I am interested to see how either milesi or renner do with stains and clear coats (1k because I'm afraid of using a hardener for now)

But those brands seem to get a lot of positive reviews. I'm about to use a renner 1k for a paint finish.

Not sure if you have access to solvent based from milesi.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Any experience with General Finishes water-based dye stains and a water-based flat topcoat? Looks like it could all be sprayed and dry time is pretty quick. I never seem to give myself enough time to do finish work.

I have used flat Arm-R-Seal with great success, I love the product but I am concerned about dry time and using oil over a water-based dye.

Also, for obvious reasons I'm avoiding the big-box one-coat "stain+poly" garbage that Behr, Minwax and Varathane pitch.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Rubio would be a good choice because it's one coat and done. So even though you are applying it by hand, you only apply one coat.

But if you want the traditional approach, I would use a spray only or spray then wipe stain, followed by two coats of clearcoat. GF's WB Dye Stain works really well, and their Enduro Clear Poly would be a good choice as the topcoat. On Baltic birch plywood the dye stain may not give you a dark enough color. If so, I'd use GF's WB Stain as a spray then wipe stain, and then the Enduro Clear Poly. In both cases, you are looking at a minimum of 3 coats, and possibly 5 if you need two coats of color and 3 coats of clearcoat.

John

There is no problem using ARS over a waterbased dye or pigment stain. Dry/cure time is long compared to any WB topcoat. If time is short, I would only use WB and/or Rubio or Osmo, etc.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    Any recommendations? Looking at Rubio Monocoat but holy crap it will take me forever to hand-apply that much product.
    100% I would do Rubio. I'd also use my random orbit sander and 3M/Maroon pad and go nuts (or automotive buffer). Then wipe off with a lint-free towel. I just did two 8 foot floating shelves liceity split. Sure, not compared to your project, but prep was slower than actually applying the finish and it looks spectacular.

Be sure to water-pop before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    100% I would do Rubio. I'd also use my random orbit sander and 3M/Maroon pad and go nuts (or automotive buffer). Then wipe off with a lint-free towel. I just did two 8 foot floating shelves liceity split. Sure, not compared to your project, but prep was slower than actually applying the finish and it looks spectacular.

Be sure to water-pop before hand.
    How does rubio work on BB Ply?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    How does rubio work on BB Ply?
    RM and Osmo work just fine on BB ply. This is Osmo Polyox.