Thread: timber frame roof repair

timber frame roof repair

Yesterday I stopped by a job my son is working on in a neighboring town, repairing damaged trusses on an 1870 era brick meeting house. Missing slates allowed the heels of two trusses and the plate below to rot out, resulting in a major sag. The trusses were shored up from inside several years ago and the repairs are now in progress. The crew installed a temporary roof over the working area and started taking out the damaged parts. The top chords of two trusses will be replaced and parts of the lower chords and the plate will be scarfed in, and steel rods added per structural engineer. There is an elliptical barrel shaped plaster and wood ceiling below the scissor trusses and it was interesting to see how that was made with rough 1x boards scabbed together with nails and hung from the rafters with a few 1xs. The substantial soffet too was hung on crude blocks from the rafter tails and supports my long-held view that inertia is a major factor in the survival of old structures like this. It's always interesting to see the details when you get a chance.

Images and audio available on Instagram with Miles' description of the rigging and planned repairs. https://www.instagram.com/p/C6onZUlrp6T/
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 05-10-2024 at 1:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Neat-O! I once looked into renting an inflatable hockey rink or swimming pool type temporary cover for a project like that. It was way beyond the budget. The cover your Sons crew came up with is brilliant! Your son & the crew are a very capable and hardworking bunch! I will bookmark that and follow along.

Will they be redoing some of the lime plaster too? If so, I have some personal recipes they may be interested in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Will they be redoing some of the lime plaster too? If so, I have some personal recipes they may be interested in.
    I think they need you in person Tom. That looks like some of your projects.

I love to see neat old historical buildings being saved. I hope I get to visit New Hampshire this summer. There is a Meeting House there with an interesting story that we sure thought was a goner. One guy all by him self worked away at it all last summer and it was looking hopeful by October.

https://mascomavalleypreservation.or...ermeetinghouse
    https://www.nhpreservation.org/blog/...r-meetinghouse
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-10-2024 at 3:36 PM.