Thread: Creeker’s past week’s accomplishments

Creeker’s past week’s accomplishments

Hello everyone, I managed to assemble the three kitchen cabinets and make shelves for them.

The red oak edge banding is stained, next step is to varnish the edges and hang the cabinet.

IMG_2448.jpg

Of course anything involving the kitchen seems to affect the entire galaxy, and involve some time distortion effects, for reasons I’ve never been able to fathom.

Last night I also hosted the monthly Zoom meeting for a few woodworking friends.

So, what did you do last night?

Regards, Rod

Last week was not all that different than the previous, although I...used some tools. Two sessions of PT for my wrist, a bunch of running around and I also started some minor changes to our laundry room. I needed to remove the worksurface to get the repair folks room to fix the washer this morning as they had to unstack to replace the main logic board (which was successful!) so it is an opportunity to make a few little adjustments for better functionality. That's where the tools came into play and there will be a little more of that this week actually in the shop to make the minor changes I am doing.

Of course, just as there was light at the end of the tunnel for the washer, the last remaining appliance we had not replaced since moving here not quite three years ago...the dishwasher...decided to fail. The irony here is that Professor Dr SWMBO mentioned the other day that she got the notice our Costco Citi CC annual rebate was on its way and I had casually mentioned that perhaps we should proactively replace the old dishwasher with a nice new Bosch that doesn't sound like an old Mack Truck when running. Karma.... So the new one was ordered from Costco (the rebate is covering a very healthy chunk of the cost) and it will be our Valentines present this year when "Lou the Plumber" installs it. (they apparently have the contract for the free install in this area)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-29-2024 at 12:13 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Milling like a mad man and building drawer boxes out of hard maple this weekend. I also installed the first drawer box using Rockler's Centerline undermount drawer slides. I wanted to give one a go before I commit to using them. Overall they work great and were pretty straight forward to install so I'll probably go with them on this project.

I also did a bit of shop cleanup because it was driving me nuts!

Jim, good time to think about installing an under dishwasher drip tray...they are designed so any leaks/drips are trapped and directed out the front so you have a chance of seeing it before it becomes major. I put one in during our kitchen remodel as extra insurance. And put a similar tray under the sink.

I finished up all the joinery on my laundry table and have begun the sanding and pre-finishing phase. Glad to be making some progress.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, that's a good idea, but because previous owners put in the oak flooring over existing and surrounding the cabinets, there's already going to be a very tight fit for the new DW when "Lou the Plumber" is installing it. So I'm not going to chance raising it more as even an eighth to a quarter inch may put the height out of range to fit under the counters. My induction range is cranked down to its lowest height and is still proud of the countertop about a quarter inch. I do already have a tray under the sink as it clearly had issues in the past. But that area isn't involved with the DW install as they are not next to each other and the DW has it's own water and drain facilities under the floor in the basement ceiling. It's actually uber-convenient because there's no uncomfortable contortions necessary to deal with the hookups...drop them through the holes in the floor, push in the unit and deal with the hookups from a step stool down below.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Jim, good time to think about installing an under dishwasher drip tray...they are designed so any leaks/drips are trapped and directed out the front so you have a chance of seeing it before it becomes major. I put one in during our kitchen remodel as extra insurance. And put a similar tray under the sink.

I finished up all the joinery on my laundry table and have begun the sanding and pre-finishing phase. Glad to be making some progress.
    Paul, when I build sink bases, I slope the bottom 1/4" to the front, and use sheet vinyl flooring to cover it. In case of a leak, this directs any water to the front where it will be quickly seen.

Cut up part of 100' pine tree that fell across drive two weeks ago. Worked on two chainsaws to get one running. I use my chainsaws less than once a year on average. Then using log spiltter, busted it up for fire pit wood , which I will place out by road with a sign "Free fire pit wood." Usually gets gone the first day. Wife is still recovering from side effects of bought with the flu. Baked a Carrot Cake, and took to Wednesday night meal at church to celebrate two widow's birthdays. Baked sheet pan of brownies for Sunday school class to celebrate both January birthdays and anniversaries. Saturday night, cooked "smash burgers" on the griddle for SIL and myself. Yesterday, took apart and oiled both fan in shop, and another that we use when burning brush pile. Fan in shop runs 24/7/365 to keep air stirred up, plus direct heated air down onto work bench, Because of cold, went thru two 20# propane cylinders, instead of the normal just one. Friday while it was 70 degrees, power washed the end of rental house where tree falling covered it in mud. Replaced run capacitor on air handler in rental. Picked up roof sheets ( 5V tin) for daughter's house where they are rusted out and leaking.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-29-2024 at 9:13 PM.