Thread: Shop dust management

Shop dust management

I have a large Powermatic dust collector in its own air tight room with ductwork running to all my shop tools. The air pressure from that room is vented through a 2 foot square box filter back into the shop. The result is a very fine dust that is re-introduced to the shop that I'd like to contain. I've thought about hanging a sheet or piece of plastic in front of the filter but would like to do a better job of capturing that dust. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Thanks,

Robin

Why is there dust coming out of the dust collector??? With my dust collector which has a HEPA filter there is no visible dust coming from the filter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Barrows View Post
    The air pressure from that room is vented through a 2 foot square box filter back into the shop.
    We had a similar situation. Our return air came through a much larger opening that housed several layers of washable filter media. That system used a row of needle felt bags. We eventually replaced the bags with an Oneida pleated filter. The Oneida is much cleaner.

https://www.grainger.com/category/hv...alytics=PLAPDP
    Our filter box was 24" X 72"
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-29-2024 at 9:24 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Given that a good dust collector filter (not a filter bag) would be looking at 200+ square feet of filter area, I'd be apprehensive about trying to better filter that air through a 4 square foot opening without significant reducing performance. Any chance you can upgrade the dust collector filter itself to something with a finer filter?

I agree with the assessment of others that the issue is largely about the filter media on the collector. Improve that as a first step. Also, as and aside, if the vent back to the shop is a direct pathway, for better sound isolation, get it more toward a non-direct pathway...one or more direction changes before exiting into the larger space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Definitely do something. The fine dust is the hazardous dust.