Thread: Art show entry Curly maple and walnut Critique requested.

Art show entry Curly maple and walnut Critique requested.

The local arts council sponsors an annual art show, and I have entered a few times. This is one of the entries for this years show. I don't know what to call the form besides a winged bowl. It is made from curly maple, and black walnut. The lid was something of an experiment with this shape. It was a little bit like sticking my fingers in a spinning airplane propeller. The bowl is about 3" deep, and 5" tall, and 10" wide at the wing tips, and finished with semi gloss lacquer. Some of my experiments haven't been too much fun, but I mostly liked making this one. I would probably try it again. I have a few ideas on some variations. I welcome a critique on this one.

Brian Brown %22Winged Vessel%22.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Very nicely done! I like it.

The uneven wall thickness on the wing bothers me as a turner. As far as visual appearance, the box bottom just looks heavy More taper in that would make it look lighter.

Thank you Richard. This is the kind of information I need. I felt the diameter of the bottom was a bit too large, but I didn't think about tapering it.
    Brian

My first impression was the bowl bottom needed to be spherical to match the lid.
    I noticed the legs were not uniform thickness but that did not bother me from an artistic perspective. If they would have gotten thinner toward the table, then that would have bothered me.

On the other hand, I rather like the difference. The base a wee bit thicker flowing to a thinner holding. Looks perfect to me.

The wall thickness is an issue for me as well as the arc of the legs. It "looks" too flattened out. As a result, the center portion is too low, barely being elevated.

Thank you everyone for your comments. They are very helpful.
    Brian

I have no critique so you only get admiration. Very nice.

Beautiful piece, indeed! I don't mind the leg thickness issue and it makes it more interesting, IMO. The bowl bottom needing a bit of tapering is where I would place any suggestion for making it a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    T... I welcome a critique on this one.
    Colors and finish look great to me. If you like the form, I like the form. Besides the next one can be made to satisfy everyone!

I hadn't noticed the technical critiques but I see them now, but don't find them objectionable. I find the form resembles a suspended acorn. It also conjures images of an alien spacecraft. There's a lot to look at here. This appears to be a many-step process to put this all together. I lingered a long time which is what I want from the observer out of anything I create. I think it's perfect for the show.

The only (very minor) critique I might make is that my eye wants the finial to terminate in more of a point at the top.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-02-2024 at 10:59 AM.