Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forums wound up too tight

id post the german version but be a bit racey for here

I'd say you are in the lead for #1 grumpy old man voice around here lately (NTTAWWT),

so your humor might not be coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I think it's really dangerous to use humor, sarcasm, or irony in online discussions. People cant see the non-verbal clues, and not everyone's reading comprehension, understanding of context, or even idiomatic American english language skills, are capable of identifying intended humor. I try to keep humor out, but sometimes the "that's what she said" temptation is too much.

And some people just like to fight.
    Agreed Stan, written humour is beyond my writing skills as all the other clues are missing.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Noticed the ones doing the most talking over there on my comment are the least skilled woodworkers there, but have found something they are good at, Lynching…One person makes a comment and the others just join in..

Dont understand you code there Cameron. Recent comment on a thread got a post of the year or some comment like that. Id say if you can get a few people to laugh on a saw stop thread you've done okay.

This thread reminds me of my wife. Poor lady tries to be funny and playful via text or email but it comes off so violently harsh. We're working on it.

Best way to deal with harsh comments is to reread them and see if it can be taken a less harsh way and if not, ignore it. The ones who are getting aggressive on a woodworking forum are not anyone you need to talk with. I'm here for knowledge and ideas and when I can I will offer my ideas or experience(may not be the best). This site has better manners than the rest in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post

I think it was Jim Becker who said he couldn’t get respect on another forum , so he left..
    Wasn't me since this is the only woodworking forum I've ever participated in other than some machine brand specific groups like Festool, SCM/Minimax and Camaster. But I sure wouldn't stay anywhere that I felt unwelcome.

As an aside, what you describe applies to forums of any subject. I help manage other forums with other topics (non-woodworking) and the same behavior exists. Since all of those have TOS similar to here, it gets dealt with one way or another. People gonna people...and it's become a "badge of honor" in recent times for some folks to be...um...{descriptor not permitted by TOS}
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

everyone is here for some knowledge. Some have stuff to sell.

Getting heckled when you share by someone who doesnt know and doesnt bother to check only leads to people sharing less.

Some just leave. Patrick past had many good posts both on machinery and on his work, just one that comes to mind. That saw he rebuilt was stunning when it was done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wasn't me since this is the only woodworking forum I've ever participated in other than some machine brand specific groups like Festool, SCM/Minimax and Camaster. But I sure wouldn't stay anywhere that I felt unwelcome.

As an aside, what you describe applies to forums of any subject. I help manage other forums with other topics (non-woodworking) and the same behavior exists. Since all of those have TOS similar to here, it gets dealt with one way or another. People gonna people...and it's become a "badge of honor" in recent times for some folks to be...um...{descriptor not permitted by TOS}

My fault of I got that wrong, but could have sworn you made that reply one time..

Naturally sarcastic here, often comes off as being a know it all jerk.

It's hard to make a joke or poke fun at something if a portion of the audience needs it explained to them, this is often where they get offended and form a negative opinion.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy helping new woodworkers, but some are there just to chat and look for things to chat about. I wish I could just go back to work full time. I wasn’t on the forums during that time much.. Notice when I registered here. Not much time spend on here..
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-29-2024 at 11:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    The internet has given a voice to many who need not have one. Every forum is like this. You have the know-it-alls who are completely wrong, the antagonists, and the perpetually angry. That said, you have a lot of great folks too- especially here. My hat is off to the moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Dont understand you code there Cameron. Recent comment on a thread got a post of the year or some comment like that. Id say if you can get a few people to laugh on a saw stop thread you've done okay.

I was referring to jack duren not you, sorry for not being clear.

Blog Entries
    I don’t make jokes on the Sawstop thread, but do laugh at ignorant comments..

I am an anti social nonconforming human. Not a joiner, I have appreciated the help I receive here, but had to bite my tongue a couple times. I generally don't like most people who lack self awareness and ability to want to see themselves as they are vs who their perception of themselves through their human brain tells them they are, so I mostly keep to myself. Brian
    Brian