Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forums wound up too tight

Blog Entries

Forums wound up too tight

Are woodworking forums wound up too tight. I tried to make a funny comment on a hobby woodworking forum and two members make rude comments back. At the beginning of the post I wrote”Funny” and two non contributing members to the post decide to join in just to make rude comments.

man…. Don’t have a sense of humor on woodworking..

I think it was Jim Becker who said he couldn’t get respect on another forum , so he left..

Blog Entries
    Like so many other public spaces, there is always some troll who feels that by bursting someone else's bubble they can make their own bubble bigger.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I’ve not been able to get into shop since July. So I have spent a lot of time on that forum. I got banned for two weeks posting too much. Really? Said I argued a lot, well when I’m receiving rude comments I guess I respond when I should ignore..

I’m pretty sure that because I did woodworking for a living , some , not all hobbyist feel threatened..
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-28-2024 at 3:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I’ve not been able to get into shop since July. So I have spent a lot of time on that forum. I got banned for two weeks posting too much. Really?
    LOL!

Look at my post count and you can see they do not have such a rule here.

Maybe I should get dressed and head out to the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey Jim,
    That is not many posts, only about 5 per day over 16 yrs. LOL
    Most in "Time-for-some-levity" keep up good work...
    Bob

I dont need a pat on the back it came from people in the trade.

What forums have are hecklers. Past when I mentioned not to wide belt and machine after as you embed grit in the wood. If the hecklers were smart they would find a company that makes sandpaper and an employee who knows stuff and it would have been verified.

Old people in this trade knew stuff that would make heads of internet gurus spin around. It was a different world and on top of lots that is not out the top shops never shared their stuff with others as they all competed for the same jobs at the same time and needed to be better and smarter.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-28-2024 at 4:17 PM.

"I think it was Jim Becker who said he couldn’t get respect on another forum , so he left"

I think that was Rodney Dangerfield.

I saw a you tube when Rodney was at the end hooked up to machines and. Jim Carrey visits to see him and says "Dont worry Rodney ill make sure to tell the world you were gay". Jim said all the machines started beeping and staff came in whats going on. So Rodney had a sense of humour right to the end.

Years ago when the fine woodworking forum was getting started i made a joke about how much entrepreneur sound like I tripped in manure. Amazing how little sense of humor some people have
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    Woodworking, "If it was easy everyone would be doing it" When you participate in a forum you have inserted yourself into a group where everyone is doing it, and doing it better than me. That seems to trigger a defensive reaction. It is an opportunity to learn. It should be fun. Using real names helps weed out bad behavior.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    It’s poor moderation.

the topic is curved seat. I suggested using a route4 a# we did at tye furniture when the CNC was too busy and another said Spokeshave. Funny if all 700 bar seats we did were with a spokeshave.,,.

So two individuals got upset.
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-28-2024 at 7:09 PM.

I think it's really dangerous to use humor, sarcasm, or irony in online discussions. People cant see the non-verbal clues, and not everyone's reading comprehension, understanding of context, or even idiomatic American english language skills, are capable of identifying intended humor. I try to keep humor out, but sometimes the "that's what she said" temptation is too much.

And some people just like to fight.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I think it's really dangerous to use humor, sarcasm, or irony in online discussions. People cant see the non-verbal clues, and not everyone's reading comprehension, understanding of context, or even idiomatic American english language skills, are capable of identifying intended humor. I try to keep humor out, but sometimes the "that's what she said" temptation is too much.

And some people just like to fight.

I’m southern and your using way too many syllables and big words…
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-28-2024 at 7:42 PM.

Yes, using humor, sarcasm and such opens one up to be misinterpreted. When I read such comment, I take into account how that poster has posted in the past. if they have been argumentative, I might interpret their comment incorrectly.

Blog Entries
    That forum has had many problems. Moderation is slow to handle problem and they get out of control.

Is this that forum's theme song?

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”