Thread: Chisel Rolls

Chisel Rolls

Awhile ago I purchased a set of Chris Pye chisels from Tools For Working Wood that included a cloth or canvas roll. Unfortunately the roll is not available separately and I can't find any that have the same internal flaps that covers the bare chisel when rolled. Anyone know of one that is available? The Chris Pye one holds about 12 or so chisels in two rows.

I can't help with sourcing a roll with flaps, I had my first wife sew flaps of muslin on the ones I bought from Woodcraft.

But how do you like the Pye carving tools? I bought the Pye lettering chisels from TFFW some years ago, Most of the chisels are wider than I've needed, at least so far. But the narrower ones I really like, I particularly like the alongee shape (sort of halfway between a fishtail and a straight gouge. I do find them a bit "chunkier" than some of the old Taylor and Addis tools I have. But for mallet use they are great, how do you like yours?

DC

a number of years ago i got several light colored canvas rolls with flaps from Blue Spruce, which i like a lot. Checking their webpage today, looks like they now used a darker waxed canvas but similar configuration. Seems like the price has jumped up, but memory just is not sure. Also have some leather ones from Lie Nielsen and as well as Barr, both very sturdy. Good luck, Patrick

Here's a photo of roll I received with my Chris Pye set. The fabric is nothing special but I like that the flaps completely cover the tools internally when rolled. It's also made in the USA. The Blue Spruce rolls look nice. The flaps at least cover the working end of the chisels. I couldn't find anything on the Barr website. Rob Cosman also offers a chisel roll but the $120 price plus shipping is out of reach for my budget.
    Facebook Marketplace 001.jpg

David - I'm not really qualified to pass any judgement on any of the Chris Pye chisels as I'm just getting started in wood carving. I hope to get into it seriously when my Veritas Carving Bench arrives next week.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 01-28-2024 at 7:19 PM.

I have one from Chipping Away and it‘s nice; not sure if they have the size you are looking for:

https://www.chippingaway.com/?post_type=&s=Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Awhile ago I purchased a set of Chris Pye chisels from Tools For Working Wood that included a cloth or canvas roll. Unfortunately the roll is not available separately and I can't find any that have the same internal flaps that covers the bare chisel when rolled. Anyone know of one that is available? The Chris Pye one holds about 12 or so chisels in two rows.

David - I'm not really qualified to pass any judgement on any of the Chris Pye chisels as I'm just getting started in wood carving. I hope to get into it seriously when my Veritas Carving Bench arrives next week.
    That's wonderful, Carving is a great pastime. I do recommend Chris Pye's pay site. He's a good teacher and it's worth joining for a couple of months if only for the video lessons about commissioning tools and sharpening. Once I learned to commission (shaping and sharpening new or new to you tools for the first time) and maintain the tools, every aspect of carving became easier. There's tons of content on the site about work-holding (probably the second most important thing after sharp tools), and specific techniques as well as projects that start out simple and get progressively more challenging as you progress.

Oh, your photo didn't post for some reason.

Best of luck!

DC

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    That's wonderful, Carving is a great pastime. I do recommend Chris Pye's pay site. He's a good teacher and it's worth joining for a couple of months if only for the video lessons about commissioning tools and sharpening. Once I learned to commission (shaping and sharpening new or new to you tools for the first time) and maintain the tools, every aspect of carving became easier. There's tons of content on the site about work-holding (probably the second most important thing after sharp tools), and specific techniques as well as projects that start out simple and get progressively more challenging as you progress.

Oh, your photo didn't post for some reason.

Best of luck!

DC
    I'll check into the Chris Pye tutorials. To get warmed up to the craft I've been watching some of Mary May videos. She makes it look so easy.

BTW, the photo of the chisel roll is now posted.

Do a search on ebay for "chisel roll" and there are a bunch on there. I bought some from there years ago.

I'll check into the Chris Pye tutorials. To get warmed up to the craft I've been watching some of Mary May videos. She makes it look so easy.

BTW, the photo of the chisel roll is now posted.
    I think there may be some free content of Chris's on YouTube. I'm taking a weekend long class on making "Green Men" taught by Mary May in March. I'm looking forward to it.

DC

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Bingo! Pricey but they're what I wanted and better. Thanks for the heads up!