Thread: New Fresh Air Face Shied

New Fresh Air Face Shied

Well I got tired of my glasses fogging up when I used a N95 mask so I looked into a filtered air face shield. Was way out of my price range for the occasional turning I do so I looked into an alternative. Since I already owned a nice Willson full face shield for some other work I do I would just use it. What I ended up with was this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NNKHGT7...roduct_details. Unfortunately it came with adapters that fit 3M cartridges and not MSA like my Willson. So I looked into MSA to 40mm Nato adapters. They turned out to be for a newer style Willson shield. Sent them back. Then ordered this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C7TZFZKT...roduct_details which worked but the field of vision was a little small. Looked at my Willson and was able to adapt the 3M to Nato fittings. I did this by cutting a couple of spacers out of some 1 1/2" PVC pipe and using GOOP to glue them in place and if I want to revert back to just the Willson face shield I can easily remove them. I'm pretty happy with the results. No more fogged glasses. Was done for under $200.

The first image is with the NATO face shield (gas mask) the second one is with the Willson which is what I'm using.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks workable. thank you for posting

Quote Originally Posted by James Baldwin View Post

Was done for under $200.
    Workable cheaper solutions (which 3M and the like are not) are the holy grail of PPE for us woodturners.

Thank you for sharing your solution, James.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

If I remember right the original cost of the Willson face shield was about $50 but I'd had it for about 5 years. A new similar one off Amazon can be had for under $50 and will probably have 3M type filter fitting which would eliminate building adapters. Jim