Thread: Cabinet Heights

Blog Entries

Cabinet Heights

Shop cabinets for a miter saw station. Is 38" too high for the counter top? 3" toe kick, 33" cabinet box. 1.5" top. I am 6'6" tall and the distance from the floor to my forearm bent at 90 degrees is 45"
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Tim, since it’s a work surface you can make it whatever is comfortable for you.

I’m short so I make my furniture to fit me.

If the above fits you well, go for it

Regards, Rod

41.5" for mine and I'm 6'
    I like it. I can see really well for accurate setup and cutting
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I'm 7 feet and the work/instrument shelf cart where I do most of my work is 4'. My tool tables are lower, mostly 39-42" or so, depending how tall the tool is that I will be using. I would try putting pieces of wood under your saw and try different heights till you find what is comfortable. It probably matters less for a miter saw since you are not likely to be standing still at it for a long time like you might with a lathe or a sander or something, but since you're building your own you might as well make it fit your personal comfort.

Blog Entries
    I’m 5’6 and mine is set at 36”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I'm 7 feet and the work/instrument shelf cart where I do most of my work is 4'. My tool tables are lower, mostly 39-42" or so, depending how tall the tool is that I will be using. I would try putting pieces of wood under your saw and try different heights till you find what is comfortable. It probably matters less for a miter saw since you are not likely to be standing still at it for a long time like you might with a lathe or a sander or something, but since you're building your own you might as well make it fit your personal comfort.
    Good idea on teh wood pieces Zachary. I 'll try that methodology first.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

5-10", and anything over 36 is OK by me for most things. My TS was 34" and had to put it up on a stand to use workbench as outfeed. it is much more comfortable at 36", significantly so.

The work bench I like at 36 and no higher. If it were higher than the work gets higher and I wouldnt be able to comfortably edge plane a 12" wide board in my vice. But the drill press, Miter saw, and any other bench in the shop can be higher.