Thread: What exactly is this clamp guide for?

What exactly is this clamp guide for?

I got this clamp guide amongst a bunch of regular guides.
    I don't know what it's designed to do, or how it should be used. Hopefully the pictures are clear - it is the same thing back to front.

IMG_6426.jpg IMG_6428.jpg IMG_6430.jpg IMG_6431.jpg

The first two photos slid sideways, apologies.

thanks, Mark

Mark, I’ve seen them used as saw guides, like the one in the picture at this link. There may be other uses I’m not aware of.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I was also going to say a saw or router guide. But it seems like there are two guides attached together that are opposite each other which I don't understand. I can't think of a reason to have two different clamping set-ups opposite of each other like that.

Are you certain that is not two clamps that are stuck together with double sided tape or some sort adhesive.

It's called a back to back clamp. You can clamp it to the bench and then clamp boards on top.

Clamp one side to your work surface and clamp your workpiece in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    It's called a back to back clamp. You can clamp it to the bench and then clamp boards on top.
    Richard, thanks for that info, I've never seen one of those before. It looks like Pro-Grip actually calls that a Twin Clamp, the Back to Back is slightly different. I can certainly see a use case for that style of clamp.

Twin Clamp
    585_twins_1_300.png

Back to Back Clamp
    581_back_back_1_300.png
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Good to know, thanks. Seems it might be of more use on a job site than in a shop.

Yea, saw guides. Somewhere I may have one of them still hanging around from when my (previous) shop was young. They work fine as long as you carefully position and clamp them, taking into account the necessary offset to have the blade on the line. (and on the correct side of the line. ) Can be used with multiple tool types...saws, routers, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Saw guides work well for cutting drywall.
    Not as good as a t - but - good in a different way. (main reason being - I have one )
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon