Thread: A crazy old formula for varnish remover

Blog Entries

A crazy old formula for varnish remover

We were gifted this old book, and we about died laughing at this formula for a varnish remover. Wear a respirator and a fire suit, and don’t go within 100 yards of a flame!

IMG_3329.jpg IMG_3328.jpeg

Blog Entries
    That recipe reminds me of the dope that was used to coat the Hindenburg. Or am I thinking of circus tent dope.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-26-2024 at 5:37 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Right, watch out for the lead!

I hate to say how much furniture I stripped using 1/3 methanol, 1/3 dichloromethane, and 1/3 lacquer thinner. It worked like a champ.

I believe it will do that job.

I remember seeing a chart in a NASA science lab back in the 1980's that ranked the danger of solvents. Gasoline was ranked as the most dangerous because of the lead in it. I had seen men clean stuff with gasoline for a couple of decades before that back then.

Kind of reminds me of Moisture Cure Urethane floor finish that has every solvent in that list except for gasoline, plus others. Floor finishers had a terrible rate of deaths by lung cancer.

I'm trying to buy some Mohawk Amalgamator right now, which is a lot like that recipe except for the gasoline, but having a hard time finding any available.

At least there's no lead in gasoline these days, but I still wouldn't want to use that recipe. I read somewhere that the guy who first added lead to gasoline was responsible for more deaths than anyone in history. Thank goodness that catalytic converters required lead be removed from gasoline or we'd likely still be breathing it.

John

Blog Entries
    Kilz original had a crazy formula. I am surprised Carlos Castaneda didn't write about it. I stopped using it after one too many out of body experiences. That stuff will Kill a respirator cartridge in a jiffy.
    Best Regards, Maurice