Thread: Hinge suggestions for this sideboard?

Hinge suggestions for this sideboard?

I'd like a low-profile or concealed hinge for this door. Anyone know of a concealed hinge with travel restriction to about 90deg? Being inset so far, I have to consider the door contacting the body sidewall.

- knife hinge, almost concealed, but no built-in travel restriction
    - cabinet hinge, Salice inset in titanium color, with an 86deg restriction clip, best looking option I know that restricts travel
    - SOSS / Sagatsune / Hafele concealed hinges, my favorite option except for the inability to restrict travel

any other ideas?

The panels in the door will be leather applied to ply. I've also thought coloured frosted glass would be nice. Door weight will be about 5kg, is 26mm thick, 470mm wide, 960 tall.

Thanks all.

Would love to find a concealed hinge restricting to 85-90deg.

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I don't understand. You say you want a concealed hinge that opens a bit less than 90 degrees. And you also mention a Salice hinge which exactly fills your spec. So what's your problem?

The Salice isn't concealed. It's a standard cabinet hinge with a recessed cup. So basically surface mount, very visible, not at all the same look as a concealed hinge.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Blum makes an 86* angle restriction clip for at least some of their hinges.https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/...o_rf_fi_bus_US

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    The Salice isn't concealed. It's a standard cabinet hinge with a recessed cup. So basically surface mount, very visible, not at all the same look as a concealed hinge.
    So you want a hinge that is concealed both when the door is closed, and when the door is open. Knife hinges and Soss hinges both fail on the latter spec. They're visible when the door is open, just like the standard cup hinges.

You might consider a pivot hinge. A pivot hinge has a pin going from the top of the door up into the underside of the top, and another pin going down from the bottom of door into the base. Fundamentally, that's all there is to it. It doesn't have to have anything visible either with the door closed, or the door open. I don't know of any commercial hinge which would be appropriate for a door of the size in your cabinet. However, you can build one pretty simply. You drill a hole down into the top of the door. You drill a mating hole up into the cabinet top. You insert a steel pin into those two holes. Invert the cabinet. Position the door carefully. Drill a hole through the cabinet's base and into the bottom of the door. Insert a steel pin that holds those parts in alignment. Add a cover or a plug or something to keep the bottom pin from falling out when you re-invert the cabinet.
    Although simple, this hinge is challenging to install. There is zero adjustability after you drill your holes. The good thing is that if the holes come out wrong, you can just plug them and try again. The plugs will be invisible when the door is installed.

Lee Valley does sell a hinge like this, sized for small boxes. Maybe it could work for you, or maybe you could steal ideas from it for a bigger one. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...den-hinge-pins

I can't think of any hinge with a <90* stop other than Euro hinges which are often called "concealed" and are until you open the door.

Soss hinges are pretty close to invisible. The pivot hinge Jamie described even more so. In both cases, limiting the travel may be the tricky part, but I think you could design some sort of invisible restrictor for the pivot hinge fairly easily. Cool looking cabinet.

John

That Lee Valley pin would be super cool if it was eccentric, allowing for side-side and front-back adjustment. A bit like this, but smaller of course:

https://www.fortress-land.com/archit...ompact-hinges/
    Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 01-28-2024 at 11:44 AM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    That Lee Valley pin would be super cool if it was eccentric, allowing for side-side and front-back adjustment. A bit like this, but smaller of course:

https://www.fortress-land.com/archit...ompact-hinges/
    You could make the bottom pin adjustable, but still invisible. Connect the bottom pin to a flat plate recessed into the underside of your base. The plate screws up into the the base through oversized holes, so you can move it around for adjustment. Perhaps the pin is a 1/4” bolt with the head cut off. Use the kind of bolt which is not threaded its whole length, so the portion inside the door is not threaded. Drill and tap the plate to accept the pin.