Thread: Ring press

Ring press

I do the occasional segmented turning and have long thought I wanted a ring press. Even went so far as buying an acme threaded rod to build a ring press. The rod still sits against the wall in the tube it shipped in.

I do some metal work and needed a piece of aluminum flat stock this morning. The close by steel supply house also has a scrap metal side. In the back of where they buy scrap they have two 50' trailers they put useable scrap in to sell. Before going to the new metal side I walked out back to check the trailers for cheaper than new and spotted the pictured press. Spent less on the entire press than I did on the acme rod with shipping. They told me its intended use was as an apple press. No apples growing around Tampa that I have ever heard of. So this must have come down here with one of our snowbirds. Thanks for bringing it. If it does not work out I am not out much $ so I consider it a good find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the top plate on a swivel? If not the rings will spin as you tighten, keeping the rings in order after the glue is applied can be tricky enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Is the top plate on a swivel? If not the rings will spin as you tighten, keeping the rings in order after the glue is applied can be tricky enough.
    Yes, on a swivel. A ball swivel at that.

Well, I would try it, nice looking press.

I use double gluing to keep rings in alignment while clamping them. I apply glue (usually TB1) to one surface and place 3 or 4 drops of CA on the other. The moisture in the glue kicks the CA, so once you put the rings together & get them into the alignment, the CA sets up in a few seconds. This won't stand up to a lot of stress, but it helps keep thing together properly while you are clamping up.

On the press you show, does the bottom plate also rotate?if so, just make sure that top and bottom plate spin equally as you are tightening things up.

Another alternative is a book press, which features a top plate that does not rotate. Those are pricy, though!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Great tip on glue ups. I struggle with rings and strips of wood moving during glue ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morgan View Post
    On the press you show, does the bottom plate also rotate? if so, just make sure that top and bottom plate spin equally as you are tightening things up.
    The bottom plate does not rotate, only the top plate rotates.

I finished a school desk replica last week and now have an end grain 3D project started on the bench. After the 3D wall hanging I plan on starting a segmented project so I can try the new press.

Your glue tip is appreciated. A couple dabs of hot melt glue placed around the ring edges also help hold alignment when tightening the clamps.