Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morris chairs - white oak with cherry accents

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Thanks Rob! Love that table you made, would like to see more pics and closeups if you have some? (also thanks for all the other kind comments... whether woodworkers will admit it or not, praise from "those that know" is extremely appreciated and valued) That chair and stool set look really nice, and very much like the plans I followed.
    Thanks. The table is a reproduction of a Stickley #603 Tabouret. I don't have many photos of the build, but the original thread is here: LINK . It's pretty true to the original design but I made the top a little thicker. If you look at photos of the Gus Stickley originals the top seems disproportionately thin to my eye. There are a couple photos imbedded in the thread.

The table was featured in the September/October 2006 Issue of FWW. They have a .pdf of the article/plans on the FWW website (free for members). It looks good in QSWO and Cherry. Either would make for a great companion piece to your chairs.

50857249111_270dc03119_o (1).jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Just read your thread, and thank you for the link! Your use of "in situ" caught my eye, as I'm the only guy I know that uses that terminology. Also... I'm mad at you because I saw the couch in your "shrine" picture, and now the tiniest seed has been planted that I should build one. I think that will be for our next home once the kids are off to college, so I have awhile to talk myself out of that.

How did you cut your through mortises? Drill > chisel? Router > chisel?

Also, I agree fully in your choice of thicker top. The table looks really nicely balanced.

Lately, I've had a few instances of going thicker on tops of various pieces, and then doing a bevel at (say) 80 degrees except for the top 1/4 - 1/2" of the top. This creates a look that I like... the top straight edge feels "lifted", the substantial thickness becomes a bit subtle.. sort of a "light-yet-heavy" in this combination.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

The mortises were drilled then chiseled. The tenons were hand sawn then finished with a router plane and a shoulder plane as I recall. I think you’d find the sofa largely a remake of your chairs. Ours is the Orchard Street sofa from the Stickley Mission Collection. The ends are exactly the same as the Morris Chair.

168B4472-FD7A-40D5-8961-801984FD154C.jpeg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.