Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead Felder Bandsaw

I did replace both the start capacitor and the run capacitor late last year - that didn't help. Both safety switches have been bypassed and new capacitors installed and still not working. Felder says either contactor is bad or motor is bad. Waiting to hear back from Felder to schedule service appointment.

I learned many years ago (the hard way) that Felder machines with a start and run capacitor need to have the start button held in until up to speed. That was my first time replacing the capacitors.

I still like Felder and think they make nice machines; I picked up an AD941 last year to replace my jointer and planer and have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Rod,

That is also another way to handle the start capacitor. I'm not familiar with Felder machines therefore assumed they were a permanent split capacitor induction motor. But having a start contactor would serve the same purpose as a centrifugal switch.

Do you know if Felder is using a timer relay to disengage the start contactor or is it up to the user to hold the start button for a period of time?
    It depends upon the machine, and possibly which country you’re in. (Canadian electrical standards are different from American standards for example)

The single phase FB510 presently has a start timer, the Hammer N4400 is presently a capacitor run motor without a start capacitor so it’s single contactor at present.

Note that it depends upon which machine we’re talking about.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by chris weir View Post
    I did replace both the start capacitor and the run capacitor late last year - that didn't help. Both safety switches have been bypassed and new capacitors installed and still not working. Felder says either contactor is bad or motor is bad. Waiting to hear back from Felder to schedule service appointment.

I learned many years ago (the hard way) that Felder machines with a start and run capacitor need to have the start button held in until up to speed. That was my first time replacing the capacitors.

I still like Felder and think they make nice machines; I picked up an AD941 last year to replace my jointer and planer and have no regrets.
    Chris, do you have a digital (or analog if that's all you have) multi-meter? You should be able to diagnose those two possibilities easy enough if you do. I'd love to know what you see for resistance across the motor windings. I have a hard time believing that your motor failed. It's most likely the motor contactor, overlaod, or something in the motor contactor start/stop circuit. I would also be interested in seeing a wiring diagram for this specific machine as I would be able to tell you where to start.

Hey Tony, thanks for the offer to assist in the diagnosis. I only have a voltage meter, but not opposed to getting a multi meter. I have 2 wiring diagrams; The original manual that came with the machine was for the FB400/500 and the FB540/640/740/840/940 series. I have the FB600. Felder also sent me a pdf copy of a user manual just for the FB600 - that wiring diagram is also included here.
    Attached Images Attached Images