Thread: All table saws to be SawStops?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    With respect to patents expiring we should all know that they can be extended. In the youtube I watched they stated Steve Gass was working to make that happen. I know he sold the rights but apparently still has some involvemennt, likely defending and extending the patents. So I do not trust that as a complete solution. I think the commission should negotiate a deal with SS and anybody else claiming to have patent protection that offers other table saw providers a fixed price for the right to use any applicable patents. Apparently things like this are done in the telecommunications industry.

Patents are a big legal cost area. If you own a patent, you will need to sue people who violate it to get them to stop. That happened when Bosch tried to introduce their saw. It is not always the merits of the claim of the parties that decides these suits. Often it is who has the deepest pockets and will fight the hardest and longest. This is just my speculation but I think Bosch gave up not because SS was right but because it was more than they thought the U. S. table saw market could return to them. SS has been aggressive in the past so I don't trust that they would not be again. Issuing a mandate without a deal with them and any others with rights just sets us up to not have any new table saws in the U. S. other than those sold by SS. Unknown costs will not support manufacturers continuing in our market.

You can't just extend utility or design patents that easily. Let's not get people all wound up that this is trivial.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Patents are a big legal cost area. If you own a patent, you will need to sue people who violate it to get them to stop. That happened when Bosch tried to introduce their saw
    I agree with the first part but did Bosch violate SS patents? A a layman, I would say no, it's a completely different system. As a lawyer (Law & Order University grad ) I would look at the tens of patents surrounding my product and find one that was breached, namely, the saw touching the finger triggering the activation. Everything else being different doesn't matter.

IMO, Bosch didn't bother to fight for two reasons.
    1. The wall of patents facing them. There was no conceivable legal way of presenting their product as unique. SS had a patent covering EVERYTHING
    2. The cost of fighting wouldn't be worth it, even if they somehow won