Thread: Contactor for 240 V 3-phase motor

Contactor for 240 V 3-phase motor

I need a contactor for a 240 v 3-phase motor, it'll be on a 20 amp circuit.
    The amount of choices online baffle me.
    Anyone have a brand they can recommend?

thanks, Mark

Do you need a bare contactor (ie - just the "switch" bit), or do you need a motor starter (which would include a contactor, overload protection, start/stop buttons, and likely have all that inside an enclosure)?

For either, try: https://www.elimia.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=38

I like and use square D. I had to buy new contacts and coil the parts were super easy to find NOS. Inexpensive too.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I like square D or seimens/furnas the French brand looks okay. Get a newer one with adjustable overloads. I would rather get a used quality one from the bay then new made in China junk that has no support new.
    You can usually add same brand overloads to a contactor.
    The cost of a bare enclosure can often be more then a used unit in an enclosure. And a used unit, hopefully, has the correct size enclosure so no math needed.
    Coil voltage?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-25-2024 at 11:50 PM.

When I was building equipment we used what was referred to as a "Definite Purpose" motor starter with adjustable solid state overload protection. It was a reasonable priced alternative to a NEMA style contactor and overload, and was a very durable and long lasting choice. We applied them to single and three phase motors from 3hp to about 50HP. Above 50HP things got a little more sophisticated. That said, I made ventilation equipment that was turned on and off very infrequently. For something going on and off multiple times a day, we used NEMA switchgear. Furnas, Square-D, and AB were brands we used. My suggestion would be to visit your local electrical supply house and see what they recommend for the load and duty cycle you are facing.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Southland Electric is a good source for used.

Dan, I need just the bare contactor.
    Thanks for the recommends people. I'll go to my local electrical supply and see if they have a Square D or another of similar quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Dan, I need just the bare contactor.
    Thanks for the recommends people. I'll go to my local electrical supply and see if they have a Square D or another of similar quality.
    Check with a local HVAC supply house.