Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robust vs Oneway or other live center

Robust vs Oneway or other live center

I'm thinking of buying a Robust or Oneway live center.
    Although I'm leaning towards the Robust, I would like to see what preferences people have. I'm particularly interested in having the threaded end for accessories.

Thanks - Richard
    RD

I "believe", Oneway was the original of this type of live center. I've had mine for years without complaint. I wouldn't have a problem buying either one, they're pretty much the same.

I have the Oneway multi tip 4 piece live center set. Excellent piece. Like Ed says though, you cannot go wrong with either one.

I'll third the vote for the Oneway. I have a tap to cut threads in small blocks of wood that I can thread onto the live centre. The make it easy to hold things firmly onto my vacuum chuck without marring the piece.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

The Robust center has an adjustable length point that can reversed to show a blunt end and the large cone may be a little larger than the Oneway (4" vs ?). It costs about 30% more. The Oneway works great and I'm sure the Robust is equally well made. I don't know if I would see any extra value in the Robust unit.

I have used my Oneway for years with no problems. I also have the Oneway adapter that screws onto the live center's thread and allows me to put my 1-1/4" threaded chucks on it for centering bowls on the vacuum chuck. Like, Grant, I also have a tap for making any special items to screw onto the center.

I’ve got both - bought the Oneway to use on a Jet 1642 many years ago, received the Robust when I upgraded to an AB 12 years ago. Both continue to do their jobs extremely well, but I do use the Robust more than the older Oneway. I like the Robust’s reversible/adjustable center and find it useful. They both take the same cones and I’ve turned and tapped several wood adapters to use when finishing bottoms with the vac chuck. For most purposes they are interchangeable, but the barrel of the Robust rotates where the Oneway is static. The robust is also slightly cut away on the front face and may allow slightly more clearance for that center cut, but its not a game-changer for me.

Another vote for the Oneway, it's been spinning since 1998 for me. Plus as mentioned, all the others are variations on the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Another vote for the Oneway, it's been spinning since 1998 for me. Plus as mentioned, all the others are variations on the original.
    I would respectfully disagree with this statement. The Oneway live center was copied by Powermatic and Jet - there was even a lawsuit involved, which Oneway won. The Robust live center shares a threaded end (3/4-10), like other manufacturer's do as well. But, the oneway body is static, and the tip revolves. The Robust body revolves, along with the tip, making it in essence a small cone on the end. The tip is also extendable and reversible. It has a larger radial thrust bearing as well. For those of you that think Oneway invented live centers, they've been used in metal working for probably 150+ years. Not trying to diss Oneway. It's a good center. But claiming the Robust is a copy is false.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Never used the Robust but I always liked the Oneway barrel being stationary and just the center bits rotating - one less thing to burnish my fingers .

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    I would respectfully disagree with this statement. The Oneway live center was copied by Powermatic and Jet - there was even a lawsuit involved, which Oneway won. The Robust live center shares a threaded end (3/4-10), like other manufacturer's do as well. But, the oneway body is static, and the tip revolves. The Robust body revolves, along with the tip, making it in essence a small cone on the end. The tip is also extendable and reversible. It has a larger radial thrust bearing as well. For those of you that think Oneway invented live centers, they've been used in metal working for probably 150+ years. Not trying to diss Oneway. It's a good center. But claiming the Robust is a copy is false.
    take it easy
    Yes, there are differences between the designs, it's up to you which suits you best.
    The point, for the OP, is that they are both quality tools, that at the end of the day, do the same job.
    The Oneway has the advantage of being around longer, the Robust has arguably better bearings.

To say that it's not a "copy" is being pretty generous. Same threads, similar accessory cones offered.
    Cone-Set-Composite.jpgLive center 500px-500x500.jpg my jet copy Live centers.jpg

While I don't think anyone claimed Oneway "invented" the live center, theirs has been the standard in woodworking for quite some time. The Robust is just an evolution, which is to be expected.

A big Thank You to all the responses. This has given me some things to think about. For one thing, I didn't know that the Oneway barrel is stationary. I have the Nova and have occasionally scored the barrel on that. I do like the reversible center point and beefy bearings on the Robust.
    It is a nice problem to have two high quality choices though.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    I did say they are all variations on the original, that means they aren't the same. But go ahead and disagree if it makes you feel better!

I don’t want to hijack this thread or the original question, but I use the Nova live center and am curious how much better the Oneway/Robust are in comparison (always looking for the next “needed” tool…..)?
    Tom

If your workpiece isn't wobbling or flying off the lathe, you probably don't need to do anything .
    The only argument that I've seen has applied to bearings and for me that so far has been a non-issue. I think the accessories you get with whichever one might influence a decision.