Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking

Blog Entries

Cooking

Since I’ve been rising my grand daughter and less time in the shop , I’ve been doing a lot of cooking. I may try chocolate turtles today. Anybody else do a lot of cooking?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My wife was a great cook, but dementia has made that very difficult for her--hard to process the steps involved in making a meal. So...for the past year or so i've been doing most of the meal prep--we're not eating nearly as well as we used to, but it is at least lower in carbs!! I'm very thankful for Alessi soup mixes--very tasty and easy to add leftover grilled meats to the selection. Plus, it's a dry mix so we're not hauling heavy cans of soup home from the store. The chicken stock & beef stock i use in place of the water i'm supposed to add is delivered by Sam's Club.

Chocolate turtles sound simply delicious! I've never attempted them but have always loved eating them.

As for me, I've always loved baking bread so I won't buy from bakeries anymore.

Blog Entries
    Miss Doe and I take turns. She is training me to back off on fat and salt. Neither of has learned to scale down our recipes for just two. Big batches of soup, chili, beans, spaghetti, etc. get divided up and frozen. The young adults have finished with their vegan and vegetarian adventures. We had a rib roast for our holiday get together. It was a luxury. Best wishes Earl Mclain to you and yours .
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-23-2024 at 8:50 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence McGee View Post
    Chocolate turtles sound simply delicious! I've never attempted them but have always loved eating them.

As for me, I've always loved baking bread so I won't buy from bakeries anymore.
    im a heavy bread eater. I guess I need to watch YouTube for bread making

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Miss Doe and I take turns. She is training me to back off on fat and salt. Neither of has learned to scale down our recipes for just two. Big batches of soup, chili, beans, spaghetti, etc. get divided up and frozen. The young adults have finished with their vegan and vegetarian adventures. We had a rib roast for our holiday get together. It was a luxury. Best wishes Earl Mclain to you and yours .
    I have to watch phosphorus which is in almost everything…if I take in too much salt from peanuts, etc I get very flushed for about 15 minutes…

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    im a heavy bread eater. I guess I need to watch YouTube for bread making
    You might want to give homemade pizza dough a try. I use either an Italian OO flour found in some grocery stores or an organic 00 flour from central milling (shipping is a killer).

In my 550 deg home oven i first pre bake the dough for 2 min before adding sauce and toppings then cook for about 7min ymmv.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I do 100% of the cooking in our home at this point and have been the primary cook for a very long time. I used to do five nights and The Professor did two, but she has a medical condition at this point that doesn't really permit her to do this safely. It's actually not a terrible thing as I truly enjoy cooking and have become reasonably skilled over the years. Those who know me on Socials generally get to see "Tonight's Nosh..." almost every night 'cause I'm one of "those folks" who post photos of food.

Thursday nights we do "date nite" and with rare exceptions always eat at a locally owned establishment, rather than any kind of "chain" restaurant. Monday nights we have "whole family" meal with both daughters and the younger's SO. Last night was chicken stew which was truly delicious...

ChickenStew.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have loved to cook since I was a wee lad.

Last week I invited my cousin and her boyfriend over for a pizza lunch. We sat at my kitchen island together while I made the dough and took instructions for what people wanted on their pizza. I think everyone enjoyed it. I know I did. I used a quick-rise pizza dough. Boyfriend was fascinated at the fact I put beer in the dough. Makes it rise fast as well as taste good.

Blog Entries
    I’m looking for a chicken recipe for soup. Bought a whole chicken, but lost the recipe off YouTube..

If I have time will try and make butter steak and potatoes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-23-2024 at 10:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    We rely on The Joy Of Cooking and the old, red plaid, looseleaf Better Homes And Gardens cook books.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I've been cooking for myself for for 45 years or so.
    If you start making bread, it's a deep rabbit hole to go down.
    Turtles look good

Blog Entries
    I’m looking for a chicken recipe for soup. Bought a whole chicken, but lost the recipe off YouTube..

If I have time will try and make butter steak and potatoes
    We often buy chicken pre-cooked at the local grocers or Costco.

With the leftovers, Candy & I like the dark meat so the left overs is usually the breasts, I make a Chili Verde Chicken.

Basically it is cutting up the chicken and removing bones while a chopped up onion is frying in a large pan. For two chicken breast I use two 15.7 oz jars. Add an extra jar and it will be like soup. Forgot to mention the fresh cilantro chopped up and sprinkled on top just before it is done.

My favorite Verde Salsa is Herdez Roasted Salsa Verde >

Herdez Roasted Salsa Verde.jpg

I used to add chopped celery. Now days I use lovage since it grows in my garden. (it tastes like celery on steroids)

Add other chopped peppers as desired.

Simple and quick.

Tastes great in a burrito or over rice.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-24-2024 at 1:34 AM. Reason: Added: Forgot…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I have loved to cook since I was a wee lad.

Last week I invited my cousin and her boyfriend over for a pizza lunch. We sat at my kitchen island together while I made the dough and took instructions for what people wanted on their pizza. I think everyone enjoyed it. I know I did. I used a quick-rise pizza dough. Boyfriend was fascinated at the fact I put beer in the dough. Makes it rise fast as well as taste good.
    Does it have something to do with yeast in the beer? Interesting!

Use the whole chicken this time, but I'll suggest you buy boneless/skinless thighs for soups and stews as they are easy to cut up and brown and they also carry a "ton" of flavor. That's what I used in the stew pictured above yesterday. I rarely buy the "white meat" unless I'm going to roast a whole chicken. (which I typically spatchcock for that, too)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...