Thread: Mortise by a blind person, short Facebook clip

Mortise by a blind person, short Facebook clip

Came across this short clip on FB: https://www.facebook.com/reel/310910...ibextid=Nif5oz

Person is making Charpai frame. It's a type of woven bed with wooden frame.

In the clip, the blind person is cutting two through mortises.

Blog Entries
    That is amazing!
    I have posted this story before... Just before my time Mom and Dad lived in Abilene Texas Their neighbor was blind. He worked in his shop at night. He never turned his lights on. The neighbors including Mom and Dad could not relax when power tool sounds came from the pitch black workshop. After some gentle encouragement and pleading, the blind gentleman's wife started to turn the workshop lights on for the neighbors sake.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thanks for that. I rarely miss an opportunity to watch such videos. The ability and craftsmanship of third world workers using primitive tools and ancient techniques never fails to amaze me. Whether sitting in the dirt making beautiful metal objects or repairing or casting huge industrial machinery parts it’s just so impressive.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 01-23-2024 at 10:39 AM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Back in the ‘70s, I toured a school for the blind. They showed us a bandsaw with a little rod just in front of the teeth. They would fasten a template to the piece to be cut. The kid would feel the rod and edge of the template and do the cut. I didn’t actually see anyone make a cut which was for the best. I would have been a nervous wreck.