Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving 'START' button on Felder K700 saw

There are a few DIY threads at the FOG site for remote switches. It is more complicated than one might assume. The most innovated I saw, was where someone installed a wireless transmitter in a 3D printed holder at the end of the slider. I'd consider that option if I had the time and ingenuity to do myself..... Every time I use my Hammer slider I get angry at the idiotic switch location.

Here is what mine looks like. My saw is 3 phase with industrial scoring, so I can’t help you with the wiring. I will check if there is anything in the felder survivors guide though.

Good luck.
    100_0390 - Copy.jpg

Hi Rick, Felder and Hammer machines almost always need at least 5 conductors for start/stop if they’re single phase.

That’s because there are 2 start button contacts, one for the run contactor ( 3 conductors) and one for the start contactor, as well as 2 conductors for the stop button.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-30-2024 at 7:43 PM.

My SC2C is 220 Volt, Single Phase. This is the list of parts used and a photo of the install.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    My SC2C is 220 Volt, Single Phase. This is the list of parts used and a photo of the install.
    Can you show the connections inside the control panel? (I do realize that could be a pain so no problem if no)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here are pics of the control panel and it's wiring. Sorry to take so long, but my wife and I took over two hours to figure out how to post the pics. In octogenarian hours that is a looong time.

First pic shows the control panel for my 220 Volt single phase saw. The wiring size seems to be 20 GA. My trusty HF tester shows 27 Volts to the switches.

Felder saw #1.jpg

Second Pic shows the back of the switches and the 4 wire setup, just like the drawing Michael showed. The green one is a momentary start switch (normally open) and the red one is a momentary stop switch (normally closed).

felder saw #2.jpg

Third pic shows how I tested it with small nails stuck in the wiring clips, and a jump wire. When I jumped the start switch, the saw started. When I jumped the stop switch, the saw stopped.

Felder saw #3.jpg

Looking through the great answers I received to my question, it appears there may be variation between manufacturers or even models of the same mfg. Throw in various three phase situations, and it can get complicated.

Fortunately for me, mine is pretty simple, and is wired just like Michael Schuck's diagram early in the thread. Four wires with make and break switches. Yes, I am going to get both start and stop remote buttons, and keep the originals where they are. My shopping list matches Lisa Starr's list almost exactly, except I will probably opt for a complete setup with the box and switches all in a package. (When you Google for these parts, the whole shebang is called a 'switching station). It seems simple enough for a DIY guy to manage, but only time will tell.

I will report when I get the parts in and installed. Hopefully this will help others with the same problem. I am pretty sure I am going to get a coiled wire, and hang the box on the side of the slider, unless I see something I like better.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-01-2024 at 2:02 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    Here is what mine looks like. My saw is 3 phase with industrial scoring, so I can’t help you with the wiring. I will check if there is anything in the felder survivors guide though.

Good luck.
    100_0390 - Copy.jpg
    Hey, that's my saw! Can you post how that was done on yours?

My TS has a foot switch wired into the control circuit in the VFD. This circuit carries very low power but the big wire helps to position the switch. I really like the foot switch as I can start and stop without moving my hands. The white switch is off when the saw is not needed. BTW it is DPDT to reduce the risk of lightning getting to the VFD again.

VFD1.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 02-05-2024 at 8:10 AM.

Never would have thought of a foot switch Tom. I have decided mine will be like the pic from Travis, with the switch box attached to the rear of the slider.

My saw is a short slider, and the wire has to extend 5' to the rearmost position , and 2' to the forward position. I looked around and could not locate any nearby places to buy the parts, so I just ordered them from Amazon yesterday. Should be here within a week. I went ahead and got the switchbox with an emergency stop button plus the start and stop buttons. Meanwhile I will build a holder to attach it to the slider.

I will document how I do it, for future use.

To be continued...
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hi Tom, I’m curious why you have a stop and an e-stop button on your remote push button station?

Regards, Rod