Thread: First Spatula

First Spatula

I'm improving a bit with the skew (still have a long way to go). Fun and quick little project/exercise. Its 12 inches long.

spatula.jpg
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice work, but I would have left a little more material at the base of the handle. My wife just snapped a wood spatula the other day. It was a flat one that was a gift decades ago, but some stiff cookie mix did it in.

Thanks Richard. And I can see cookie mix doing the deed. By base I'm assuming you mean where I put the bead?

Very nice. My personal preference would be to leave the bead out - it spoils the nice flowing curve you have, draws the eye from the overall piece to it and the 2 joints of the bead to the shaft will be little gunk collectors.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 01-22-2024 at 9:45 AM.

Hi Bill, I purposely didn't undercut the bead so that stuff wouldn't collect there but I didn't consider it would take away from the aesthetics. Thanks for the input and perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Very nice. My personal preference would be to leave the bead out - it spoils the nice flowing curve you have, draws the eye from the overall piece to it and the 2 joints of the bead to the shaft will be little gunk collectors.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 01-22-2024 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Thanks Richard. And I can see cookie mix doing the deed. By base I'm assuming you mean where I put the bead?
    That is what I meant John. Your design is very graceful and pleasing to look at, but sometimes you need a heavier tool in the kitchen. Your's will fare well for soups and pasta.

That's really quite nice. What wood did your use? Some will be tougher than others, but I still question it's use for cookie dough. I have not been bitten by the wood kitchen ware bug yet, but I'm sure it is coming.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

It's cherry. I'm not discriminating at this point, if I can spin it into something, then I'm all for trying. And thank you for the nice compliment - your work is quite good, I've been watching the (really cool) pieces you've been posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    That's really quite nice. What wood did your use? Some will be tougher than others, but I still question it's use for cookie dough. I have not been bitten by the wood kitchen ware bug yet, but I'm sure it is coming.