Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson EcoTank Printers

If I'm printing photographs, I'm sending those out to a pro lab. Just like in the silver-halide days (well, after university... and barring any alternative process printing)

edit: these days Bay Photo, MPIX, or Millers
    Last edited by mike stenson; 01-22-2024 at 5:28 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Me too, I do virtually all of my printing in monochrome (B&W) so my color laser gets rarely used. When I was doing this with a color inkjet (both Epson and HP) it was usually partially clogged when I went to use it and had to run through the head cleaning a couple of times to get it to work and sometimes had to replace the cartridge. I think this is a requirement for inkjets, don't let them sit unused.
    Being fed up with inkjets, I bought a color laser and I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and it is still using the colored toner that came with it which is an indication of how infrequently it is used. It always works without fiddling around. I was concerned about photos since you can't put coated photo paper in the laser due to the heat. I printed some test photos on 32lb paper and the results were very good - not as much a wow factor as gloss photopaper with a good inkjet but certainly much more than satisfactory.
    I switched to a color laser printer because I was constantly running into issues related to the ink cartridges. I have replaced two color toner cartridges because I have just been defaulting to printing everything in color even if not necessary.

years ago I was on film and cost was huge as I shot a lot. Digital came and I had primitive for years but it got better and better. On the film the one hour photo guy did good work. Then he got some high end digital machine and the quality was never the same as now its mass production time. Ill look at the laser stuff and thanks for mentioning it there is a pro photo place in TO that I can visit and will have lots. Im hooked though on the quality of what the 1270 could do so going to expect that at least.
    The film guys change to whatever fancy machine he got was the start of downhill. On the positive I got the video camera with 1.3 meg still shot and that was the start of me on digital. Some photos so low rez they looked like paintings instead of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    years ago I was on film and cost was huge as I shot a lot. Digital came and I had primitive for years but it got better and better. On the film the one hour photo guy did good work. Then he got some high end digital machine and the quality was never the same as now its mass production time. Ill look at the laser stuff and thanks for mentioning it there is a pro photo place in TO that I can visit and will have lots. Im hooked though on the quality of what the 1270 could do so going to expect that at least.
    The film guys change to whatever fancy machine he got was the start of downhill. On the positive I got the video camera with 1.3 meg still shot and that was the start of me on digital. Some photos so low rez they looked like paintings instead of photos.
    My employer went fully digital for photography back in 2003. It saved a ton of money when the company removed the film developing machine. We didn't need super high quality photos for our needs.

We bought one a couple of years ago and rue the day. I don't know where to begin to relate the problems.
    I do a lot of photography and I bought an expensive Epson photo printer. It lasted three years and died. I found no one who could fix it.
    I have since gone with Canon.