Thread: Just Getting By

Just Getting By

My basement shop is just 250 square feet. That means getting by without any kind of chop saw, jointer or outfeed table. Also it means few big projects. So given those limitations I get by just fine. Nothing is mobile which is the most efficient way to work. Note; anything can be done with hand tools, power tools just go faster.

Primary bench 27 x 67 with end vise, in the center of the shop, with space all around
    17" band saw
    Small bench 42" high (project pieces rest here)
    Offcut rack
    Lathe
    Bench grinder 6"
    Drill press, floor model
    Metal shelves
    Wood storage (there is a little more in the garage)
    Tool cabinet
    Side bench 25 x 66
    Table saw, slid to the right till it is against the wall
    Belt/disk sander
    Dust collector in the basement outside the shop.

NW.jpg NE.jpg SE.jpg SW.jpg

Blog Entries
    A very nice space! Zen in the art of basement shop.
    Best Regards, Maurice

One of the important "tools" for a woodworking shop is space utilization...you've done that well for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Surprisingly you have a lot of tools in there! Great organization.

What I've learned after years is that everyone has their limitations. You just have to work within what you have.

Is that 17-drawer dresser in the corner custom built? Or manufactured. I've never seen anything like that.

working out of a portion of a 2 car garage myself I struggle not with tool placement but all the other stuff that is in my shop: trash can, finishing products, glue, fire extinguisher, first aid, broom/dustpan - you know, all the necessary non-tool stuff (and even non-woodworking stuff). Surely based on the photos here you have more space available outside your 'workshop' space?
    It's how big?

Very nice space; looks like you have plenty of room to add a jointer/planer machine on a mobile base. Just push it against a wall when finished.
    That is a really beefy bench; you don't have to worry about it walking around during hand planing.

Looks very nice Tom. my basement shop is a similar size..........Regards, Rod.

It still feels roomy from the looks of it. You have more free space than I do in 525.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    It still feels roomy from the looks of it. You have more free space than I do in 525.
    Same here... I've got a *lot* more square footage, and a *lot* less usable space

Blog Entries
    I struggle daily with whether to have a work space or a warehouse. I can function working in a warehouse amidst chaos. It is not my favorite way to spend a day. If my surroundings are organized and peaceful, my patience and carefulness are improved. I borrow the Zen term from our kids. When we worked together they would stop me often and say "Dad, you are working in spaghetti again"
    Best Regards, Maurice

Outside the shop I also have a cabinet with finishing supplies.

The bench weighs 400 pounds.

The tool cabinet is definitely a one off. Without it the shop would be unworkable. It provides almost 100 sq ft of space in a modest footprint. The drawer fronts are steam bent ash.

Tool Cabinet.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Outside the shop I also have a cabinet with finishing supplies.

The bench weighs 400 pounds.

The tool cabinet is definitely a one off. Without it the shop would be unworkable. It provides almost 100 sq ft of space in a modest footprint. The drawer fronts are steam bent ash.

Tool Cabinet.JPG
    I really like that cabinet. Well done, Tom. Impressive space utilization.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

A rack and pinion vise. Don't think I've seen that before. Looks like a weight and pulley for clamping force?

And that cabinet is amazing.

Thanks Wes. The weight and pulley has no pulley, just a couple wraps of the rope around the low speed shaft, wrapped to give more drag on opening. Unfortunately it isn't enough for tight clamping and I had to add a ratchet. Still the leather jaws make light clamping adequate for most work. BTW the jaws open 44", which allows me to hold a drawer. Just have to lift the jaw to disengage the gear teeth for fast opening.