Thread: Bessey K-Body Accessories In Use

Bessey K-Body Accessories In Use

Just finished the carcass glue-up today on my sideboard project and when I stood back I realized I used an extensive array of Bessey's K-Body accessories. I figured I would snap a couple of pictures and show them in use, just in case someone wasn't aware of or realized they exist. Overall they made this glue-up of floating tenons, dados/grooves and inset back panel a breeze. I'm probably weird, but I generally enjoy the assembly process and it doesn't usually stress me out. The sideboard dimensions are 25.5" x 16" x 68".

Full disclosure, I have absolutely zero relationship with Bessey, I just wanted to share.

• KR-AS jaw adapter - these spread the pressure of the clamp for more even distribution and using fewer clamps overall
    • Framing set - these are commonly used for frames/boxes but they're great for creating an elevated platform for a workpiece and they don't tip over. I almost always use these for the bottom set of clamps.
    • KBX20 extender - turn two K-Body clamps into one super clamp. I usually join my 40" or 50" with the 24" clamps. These are super handy when you need something really long.
    • KRE-RPP - you get two of these with each clamp. I often use them to support the bottom piece above the rail with the aforementioned framing set but they're good to just keep the beam away from the workpiece too.

All the items described/pictured can be found on this page

https://www.bessey.de/en-us/bessey-t...nd-case-clamps

Front:

View from below illustrating the use of the framing set, which also assists with getting other clamps under to pull in the opposite direction too:

Backside - sideboard, not mine

I've been considering some of the extenders because I only have (4) 60" K-bodies and sometimes there's a need for more longer lengths. Not often, but..."those times".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh yea, they're super handy Jim. Highly recommended. I have 6 of them. I bought the first two stand-alone, and after I bought a couple of sets which included two extenders in each pack. That's probably the "least" expensive option to accumulate these clamps and accessories.

Agreed, I’ve used those extenders more times than I thought I would. You don’t quite double the length of your clamps, but they maintain all of their clamping force. Those extenders are robustly made with large hardware.

How are the larger jaws? I wish bessey made an accessory similar to the one jorgenson used to make for the ibeam clamps. I think they called them the mastodon jaws or similar prehistoric creature. It increased the throat of the clamp from 2-3” up to closer to 12”+. It would effectively turn the kbody into a pseudo F style clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've been considering some of the extenders because I only have (4) 60" K-bodies and sometimes there's a need for more longer lengths. Not often, but..."those times".

Yes, they’re handy Jim, I use my extenders a few times per year.

I also use those black plastic blocks to hold the clamps in a basic arrangement for drawer gluing as an example

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Agreed, I’ve used those extenders more times than I thought I would. You don’t quite double the length of your clamps, but they maintain all of their clamping force. Those extenders are robustly made with large hardware.

How are the larger jaws? I wish bessey made an accessory similar to the one jorgenson used to make for the ibeam clamps. I think they called them the mastodon jaws or similar prehistoric creature. It increased the throat of the clamp from 2-3” up to closer to 12”+. It would effectively turn the kbody into a pseudo F style clamp.
    Patrick, the larger jaws are great! They also cant left and right so if you have an odd angle or need to square up a cabinet they work great for that too. I mainly take advantage of them distributing the pressure along a wider footprint.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great report on your experience with the various add-ons. I will definitely be looking at those larger jaws. For extenders I just grab something (cherry in this case) out of the scrap bin. I cut the slot with a FTG blade and glue / tack a 5/16" thick strip on to close it in.

Bessey k-body extenders.jpg

A key to success is to mill the slot to within 1/32" or so, height and width, for a good fit. This helps prevent wiggle while you are trying to hold long clamps in position while tightening . . . DAMHIKT. My first set were too short; these are about a foot. The first set were poplar which is pretty soft. Still . . . never a failure.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice looking sideboard. And the clamps are pretty good looking too...
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks Christopher!

Glenn, that's a very cool design! I don't really kill the clamping pressure too much, but I was curious if you used bushings around the bolts to prevent the wood from "ovaling" after a few clamping sessions?

Nice accessory, Glenn. Now that Glenn gave us a shop made extender, has anyone ever seen a DIY version of these jaws? I wish i could still buy these jaws for a few sets of my ancient ibeams.
    Attached Images Attached Images