Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red squares

People are free to spend their money as they wish.
    IMO the OP is wondering why everyone is spending that kind of money on a square when you can get the same results for much less.
    The accuracy of the red tools is not in question, what is, is why do people think they need it.
    There is a certain school of woodworking that believes that they need machinist level accuracy with their woodworking tools, if that's what you want, that's great, though you can get it at a much lower price.

A square is only as good as the reference surface it's used with. So, unless you use an equally expensive straight edge to check on all you pieces that need square layout lines before you use your square, it's not much help.

The red squares are nothing more than overpriced machinist squares being sold to woodworkers.

Before you all jump down my throat, Overpriced has nothing to do with quality. It simply means it's priced higher than similar competitors tools.
    There is nothing wrong with premium priced tools if they help you in some way achieve the final product you're after.
    I'll stick with my $20 Shinwa, which is only slightly less accurate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    People are free to spend their money as they wish.
    IMO the OP is wondering why everyone is spending that kind of money on a square when you can get the same results for much less.
    The accuracy of the red tools is not in question, what is, is why do people think they need it.
    There is a certain school of woodworking that believes that they need machinist level accuracy with their woodworking tools, if that's what you want, that's great, though you can get it at a much lower price.

A square is only as good as the reference surface it's used with. So, unless you use an equally expensive straight edge to check on all you pieces that need square layout lines before you use your square, it's not much help.

The red squares are nothing more than overpriced machinist squares being sold to woodworkers.

Before you all jump down my throat, Overpriced has nothing to do with quality. It simply means it's priced higher than similar competitors tools.
    There is nothing wrong with premium priced tools if they help you in some way achieve the final product you're after.
    I'll stick with my $20 Shinwa, which is only slightly less accurate.
    …………………..x2

Blog Entries
    When I was 30 years old ai might have sunk every penny in my career as a cabinet maker. Forward 30 years later. Thank goodness, I found out I didn’t need every gizmo on the market..

if you like it and are will to soon paymoney great, but not always required.

As an aside, I have these. They work just fine for a lot of things. https://www.northerntool.com/product...sq070p-5757483

For the rest, I have a WP square, a Starrett and various engineering squares.

YMMV.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Edward and Jack

If a person needs an "accurate square", it's very hard to beat the Staedler squares in an office supply store. You can get three of them for less than $10.00.
    Groz makes a nice set of fixed squares also. There are three in the box and they're kind of small, but nice for machines, because you can get them into smaller places.
    I have one "precision" square, or triangle. It's very large. It was purchased to setup the fence on the slider on my table saw. I use it in conjunction with a 6' Starret rule that lost its NIST certs many years ago, and thus became nothing more than a 6' long paint stirrer. We had actually put it in the scrap metal dumpster.
    Woodpecker and Pinnacle have done the work for the end user. They might be expressing their accuracies in +/- inches tolerances for people to understand easier, but I bet their actual spec's are expressed in least, and most, significant digits, machine sample rates in MHZ and baud rates.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-19-2024 at 3:15 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Chinese squares are a much better deal for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Chinese squares are a much better deal for the money.

then we complain that nothing is made in the US anymore. This is exactly why.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I got plenty of squares that are square, but not certified. What else would you do. Pitch all 20 squares and buy a certified square?
    As stated in the move O Brother Whee Art Thou , "He's bonafied!"

Blog Entries
    Sound like if you got good squares, no what the color your good to go.

Just an observation of the few I watched.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    then we complain that nothing is made in the US anymore. This is exactly why.
    Tools making today is much different than it used to be.
    A competant operator can buy some equipment and manufacturer accurately machined parts. It's more money than know how these days. Meaning almost anyone can do it, it doesn't take a master toolmaker.

Just because the red tools are U.S. made, does not automatically make them better or worse. If I thought those tools were a fair price, I would own them. But I'm not paying a premium for artificially inflated tool prices, no matter who makes them or where.
    Just today I got an email about the one of the red tools I considered at one point, the index-able square. While I like the concept, a 12" combination square for $150, on sale, just ridiculous IMO.

JMHO

They are also frequently red anodized aluminum. So some of the red squares the OP is seeing may well be cheap foreign knock offs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    No… im asking why everyone is buying red squares.

Not what your thinking, Not trying to insult anyone..
    It may be that a lot of you-tubers have bought off on those that came before them and have to have a back drop of Woodpecker tools on the wall to enhance their credibility whereas their skills may not(?). I have a few Woodpecker rules that are just great. I also shake my head in wonder at things like their clamp rack or spline jig at $150 or more. It is a world of massive selection and suppliers. Educate yourself, think about your needs, and choose wisely grasshopper
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler