Thread: Interesting Tools Part 5 - Combination Squares - Others

Interesting Tools Part 5 - Combination Squares - Others

Here are a couple of squares from Empire in 6" and 16" sizes. Think I got at Lowes. They are aluminum heads with a stainless rule. The stainless is magnetic so they can rust.

Empire 1.jpg

A Harbor Freight combination square set from China non-reversable. Note the rule is only marked on one side. While inexpensive I would recommend sanding down all the sharp edges and replacing the rule with a hardened one.
    Do that and it will be a decent set.

China 1.jpgChina 2.jpg

An Odd Job from a Stanley design. It isn't as precise as the others but fits into a toolbox nicely. This one was made for Garrett Wade. They also have offered a larger version.

Odd Job 1.jpgOdd Job 2.jpg

Below is a group of small adjustable squares. From left to right: Starrett #236 with 6" hook rule (angles marked 30-45-60 in both directions. Goodell-Pratt 6" (angles marked 60-45-30 in one direction). Brown & Sharpe #552 with 2" stepped rule (angles marked up to eight degrees both directions). Millers Falls double steel square #222 with 2 1/2" x 1/2" blade, 1/2" 30 and 45 degree blade, and 2 1/2" x 1/8" blade.

Any questions just ask.

Small 1.jpgSmall 2.jpg

Some buying suggestions. Since there are no guarantees that parts will interchange, buy a complete set consisting of the square head, the center head and a reversable protractor head. Two different sizes are handy. Buy several rules in different lengths either hardened or tempered. The name brands will typically hold their value. Used "collectable" ones are less costly so buy what you can afford. If buying used inspect carefully. Many times scribers are missing. There are at least four different sizes of scribers (diameter) so replacements may not fit. Also, check protractor heads for cracked castings around the screws that lock down the rotation. This is a typical weak spot.

Not sure where this mess fits in...unable to find any maker's logos..
    Eric, shop's tools 1.JPG
    And...flipped over...
    Eric, shop's tools 2.JPG
    Not sure where the head went....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Not sure where this mess fits in...unable to find any maker's logos..
    Eric, shop's tools 1.JPG
    And...flipped over...
    Eric, shop's tools 2.JPG
    Not sure where the head went....
    Steven I can't tell from the pictures. The protractor has brass lock down knobs which indicates a new made unit. I would need a picture of the other side to maybe tell.

Details...
    Eric, details, Protractor.JPG
    Had to go and load up the Clothes Dryer, anyway...
    Eric, steel center finders.JPG
    Knob on the right IS original to the center finder...not too sure about the one on the left...

Heart shaped?
    Eric, heart shaped.JPG
    With level and scriber...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Details...
    Eric, details, Protractor.JPG
    Had to go and load up the Clothes Dryer, anyway...
    Eric, steel center finders.JPG
    Knob on the right IS original to the center finder...not too sure about the one on the left...

Heart shaped?
    Eric, heart shaped.JPG
    With level and scriber...
    The protractor is a newer on and I really don't know who might have made it. The square head also looks newer. It has a "U" shape around the clamp hook knob, similar to B&S but it has brass on the scribe indicating newer also. The center head on the right looks like a Goodell-Pratt. The left one can't tell.

I found a Starrett 12” here in the classifieds a few years ago for a steal. Great instrument.